New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New '98 F3 owner

Old 05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '98 F3 owner

Hello everyone. I'm a new rider and a new owner of a '98 CBR 600 F3. Picked the bike up earlier this week. Since I'm not licensed (taking the MSF course starting this evening) I haven't been able to do much more than take the bike around the neighborhood to check it out but so far it looks like a good purchase at $2200. I have some minor issues including some stupid ricer turn signals that are aimed at the ground and some krylon paint on the gauge cluster surround and swing arm that is already starting to flake off.

I really want a newer 600RR but since I've been informed by everyone I've talked to that I WILL lay my first bike down in my first 6 months of riding, I figured a less expensive older model would be the way to start out. That isn't going to stop me from cleaning this old beauty up a little more and doing some tweaks to help things out.

I don't plan on doing a lot to the F3. It already has a full DD exhaust, K&N filter and a jet kit so performance is more than enough, especially for a new rider like myself. In the short term I just plan on some little items like replacing the ricer turn signals with some better flush mount signals, replacing the mismatched stock/chrome grips with some nice rubber ones, and frame sliders. Long term I may look at a F4i cluster install since I really like the look of that cluster.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MSF ...... a good idea !

Welcome to the Forum. MSF is always a good plan as is getting some good quality
gear. BTW ......I do not subscribe to the idea about laying the bike down in the first
6 ...... no siree not if you ride within your abilities and progressively enhance
them with ongoing experience riding the bike ...and that can be any bike
old or new cuz it ain't the bike it's the man or woman riding it that controls
most outcomes !

Enjoy the Forum, MSF Class & finally the bike ........Ride Safe

Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement. Perhaps a better way to say it is that Its a lot more likely for me to drop my bike as a new rider than once I'm more used to it and as with anything I think its a good idea of ease into a new hobby rather than jump in with both feet (though I've been guilty of that particular sin more times than I care to admit).

I have already purchased some of my gear (helmet and jacket) and I'm going to be picking up some boots, gloves, and probably pants later today or tomorrow.

I just can't wait to get on the road and put some miles on my new toy

Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi & welcome to CBRF!
Nothing wrong with starting out on a F3,they are very easy to ride and like all Hondas, very forgiving.
Ride safe and enjoy the forum

Old 05-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, man!
Yep, I agree that you are much more likely to noob drop your bike. I think starting with something a little older was great idea.... as was the decision to take the msf.
Enjoy the forum, bud... and Ride Safe!