New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New 2000 CBRF4 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2000 CBRF4 owner

I just picked up a 2000 F4. Yellow and black. I'll put up pictures soon. Had an 03 Ninja 250 that I got about 8,000 miles or so on before I got rear ended on the highway at 75+mph and totalled it. Ended up cracking the wind screen with my helmet. Then the next day it was stolen before we could come pick it up since the accident was at like 2am on a friday.

Definitely glad I started on it though since I haven't had any problems with the added power or weight and have already hit several bumps and had no issues with hamfisting the throttle. Love the bike so far after two days of having her. Has the yosh exhaust on it. Has a few scuffs. One on the right side of the tail and another one on the front lower fairing that you can barely see.

Already plan to flush all the fluids, get new tires, and get the valves and carbs checked soon as well.
It does have the lovely CCT issue but I already knew about that so its not much of a concern to me. Mainly just need to get the valves checked and flush the fluids. I was amazed though that either I developed more control with two fingers for braking or the F4s brakes are just really good without causing you to suddenly dump over the front end.

Now I actually feel like slow speed maneuvers are easier on the F4 vs my 250 especially U-turns. As far as turning I feel more confident taking turns, although I still take them at the same speeds as before so I don't become over confident. I love how easy it is to ride and how fast it is yet honestly its far smoother to me.

On my 250 shifting wasn't nearly as smooth and actually I found it harder to be steady on the throttle during low speeds and in pking lots. With my F4 after just a few hours I don't have that sudden chopping of the throttle problem. Only issue is holy hell does it want to bog and cut out when you are barely moving.

Everything about the bike is heavier but not in a pigish way more in a quality build way. I was amazed also that with all the extra weight that it doesn't feel any less nimble. The yoshi exhaust sounds great too and she hauls ***. Haven't had to get out of third gear really. It has such a linear powerband its easy to control and clutchless shifts are far smoother.

I wonder if I really learned that much on my 250 or if the F4 is really a pretty easy friendly bike. I love her already and don't think I'll be wanting anything else soon. Was kind of odd that other than things happening faster it doesn't feel all that different than my 250.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Default RE: New 2000 CBRF4 owner

Lol wow it finally let me post this. I've had her about 6wks now and just ordered a new teknic chicane leather jacket, motoGP nitrous gloves, sintered pads, fluids, speed bleeders, tires and looking to find some used t-rex stands for cheap. That and a black seat cowl thing lol.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:28 AM

Congrats on the purchase Mista .. I too an the proud owner of a 2000 F4 and like you love her to bits. They are so easy to ride and very forgiving for a gal like me that has been out of riding for so long. As yet mine is still stock standard but looking at a few things to do to her. Love to take her up in the hills and outon the broad sweepers that are my "playground".

May you and you F4 enjoy many safe and adrenalin filled miles

Rae

Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks. I took her out to some back roads a few weeks ago and it was amazing how easy it was especially since it was my first time on roads like that and only a week or so into owning her.

I only have a yoshimura exhaust on her and just ordered some riser plates, brake pads and probably going to get SS lines soon. Thinking about painting the tail black since it has some rash from the previous owner and getting a seat cowl as well since I don't do any 2up riding at least not yet. Although I'm sure its far easier to do on the F4 vs my 250.

Here are some pics.
Name:  CIMG0136.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  144.5 KB
Name:  CIMG0117.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  106.5 KB
Name:  CIMG0118.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  90.6 KB

Old 07-07-2008, 12:33 PM

cool.. if your checkin all your stuff then you might as well check your spark plugs too depending on how many miles. Welcome to the forum and feel free to post up some pics on the f4 page!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 PM

I thought about them as well but wasn't sure if I wanted to get that involved since I've read it can be a pain.

Also forgot I'm changing out the filter as well. Its got 25k on it.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM

k well if your changing the air filter too then you might as well do the plugs. There should be a tool in the kit that looks like an allen wrench with a large socket on the end. Basically if you pull your tank then your at the air box then its right under the airbox pretty much. They are not nearly as difficult as some bikes are from what i've heard. Um here is a link but there is no full write up.. i dunno if there is a full one somewhere.
http://www.bossturbo.com/cbr/howto_sparkplugs.shtml

Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Oh ok. I had just heard that some bikes are pretty difficult like the ZX-10 I heard is a bitch.

I'll have to check into doing that.

Now I just need to get some used stands for cheap and I'll be good

Old 07-07-2008, 02:31 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spark plugs can be a pain ... 1kRR ya gotta disassemble practically everything and half remove the radiator. I do not think the F4 is that bad for the plugs ... but checking valve clearance is a major ordeal.

Quick Reply: New 2000 CBRF4 owner