New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

n00b looking at buying a 600CBR

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b looking at buying a 600CBR

My name is Joe. I've been thinking about getting a bike for a while. I'll be gonig to school for the next two years for GM auto mechanics at a school about 25 miles away. I've been driving a about 15+(one way)everyday form a few years now, and driving my '90 SHO I get about 25mpg. So, I'm mainly getting a nike for the gas savings. I'm not looking for it at a racing point of view, but with my background, I'm not going to say it won't happen.

Anyway, a good friend of mine I've know since middle school has two 600CBR's. His first was a '94, and he's now driving a '04 F4 I. He's had the '94 sitting for a while, because he's using the newere one. It's also been sitting due to a stretched timing chain and a bad tensioner.

I finally got the OK from the girlfriend to get a bike after she rode with her uncle on his Harley last night.

So know he's had the '94 for a while I called him up and asked how much he wanted. I didn't get a definite answer fromhim, but to anyone else he was going to sell it for $2k.

Like I said it does need the timing chain and tensioner (I think). He also laid the bike down a while back in an emergency stop, so it needs some body help too.

I'm pretty good mechanically, and body/paint wise, but I've never worked on any bikes, let alone ridden one.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Joe

Old 08-18-2008, 12:53 AM
Default RE: n00b looking at buying a 600CBR

Well, if your getting it to save gas, thats really not a good reason to get a bike. You should get a bike for the fun aspects of it. Also if you get a bike and are ever running late, dont ever rush yourself to work on it.

Sorry I don't know anything about prices so I can't help you there. I think you should get a bike, but not purely for saving gas... besides 25mpg is amazing. Bikes are a lot of fun. I don't think you will regret getting one if you do.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Default RE: n00b looking at buying a 600CBR

I'm also looking at for for a second ride. The SHO is nickle and diming me to death, and it'd be nice to give it a rest and keep the miles lower. It's a lot of fun to drive, but I'm looking for something MORE fun!

Obviously, my mom flipped when I told he I was thinking about getting a bike. (I still live at home, lucky me). Like me, she more worried about the drivers around me. I have no idea what to tell her...

Pic's of the SHO: