New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

my first somewhat real ride. question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first somewhat real ride. question

so i had my first real ride today, not in a parking lot or my road, i was in a cematery. it was about 2 miles around it all kinds of turns and stuff. i was getting better but did not know when i should shift. i was going about 25 on he straight parts and like 20 around the turns. when i was going around turns in first gear i would be acclerating through the turn to fast then would let off some trying to stay at a steedy speed. i am not smooth on the throttle yet so i kept jerking from the engine breaking. in second it was much smother. so i was woundering what gear should i have been in or should i have just stayed in first? i was upshifting to second at about 15 then down shiftig before a turn. i never drove a manuel so i have no experince with the gears. any information would be great thanks.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Default RE: my first somewhat real ride. question

Great question that I would like to know the answer too as well. (I'm new too, but not to manuals) I would think that if second is smoother, go that route, but you run into another problem... making a turn from a stop. I dont think you have enough time to shift in this scenario, so I think the only way to smooth it out is to "feather" the clutch. This way you can just keep the engine RPMs up a bit and control all the speed with the clutch. I'm curious as to what the experienced riders have to say

Old 06-24-2007, 12:47 AM

speed is not always the best indicator of correct gear. rpms are what you should keep an eye on. for that type of slow riding second gear around 5000 rpm should be good a place to start.

as a side note, at those speeds you are not really feeling the effect of countersteering. so, while yes, it is good to get comfortable is a safe area, remember, it is going handle differently when you actually get up to speed on the street.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wonderin...
Why are you learning toride around in a cemetery?
Less traffic is good, but kinna creepy.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:03 AM

well i figured if i mess up to much they will not have to take me to far. jk. its got roads with nice turns and down hill turns with no traffic and its right down the road. also i cant go far bc no plates on it yet. its private property so i can ride their legaly.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:08 AM

also when i get on the road and i have to counter steer and i am going around a bend at like 30 or 35 as long aa i look and lean and push i am going to stay on the road right? i am not going to have to make some huge change in steering as to lower speed? because if i wreck on the first turn at speed i am going to feel realy dumb and be in pain lol

Old 06-24-2007, 01:27 AM

Remember to look where you want to go and dont focus on the curb or car coming in other lane. You will go where you look.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:30 AM

ORIGINAL: kodiak1122

Just wonderin...
Why are you learning toride around in a cemetery?
Less traffic is good, but kinna creepy.

Yeah, But the residents don't complain. lol
Glad to see you are taking an active interest in learning and in a safe environment. Are you planning on taking the MSF course?
Good luck and have fun

Old 06-24-2007, 01:50 AM

i already took msf. the first bend i took today i looked right at the curb to see how far it was just for a second and before i knew it i was going straight at it. i never did that again lol. at one point i stopped to call for a ride home(cant ride it back yet) i was on a hill i stopped there so i could practice starting up hill. it was not to steep but kinda, hard to explain a hills grade but i held it at about 3.5-4k rpm and slow let the clutch out and when it was almost out i could feel my back end going side to side for a second as i took off then quickly straightened up. i almost crapped my pants when i felt that. any idea what could cause this? the road had a lot of cracks with grass growing out of them. i was thinking my back tire was on a patch.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:25 PM

Just get used to your throttle, it will get easier the more you ride.

Quick Reply: my first somewhat real ride. question