CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Movin' over (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/movin-over-157639/)

Doc Samson 05-23-2018 05:27 AM

Movin' over

I'm moving over from a Ninja 300 (put 7000 miles on her) to an '06 F4i. Been riding for just a year so definitely still a newb and eager to learn the "ins and outs" of this bike. Looks like a lot of good info on the forum so I'll be doing a lot of reading and hopefully avoid most of the questions that have been answered 97 times already!

brepbrep87 05-23-2018 10:06 AM

Cool doc, what an upgrade. I just bought my first cbr, its only a f4 (2000 model)though. Keep use posted on what u notice different. pro, and cons of the new bike versus the old one. What are some modifications you'd like to do to the bike if any? I mentioned in a previous thread in very interested in changing my gauges out of some digitals, or maybe just something a little more modern.

But i'd like to mention, i REALLY like the way those ninja's sit. (im kinda smaller guy)

Doc Samson 05-23-2018 08:09 PM

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

Yes, it is definitely taking some getting used to! I was not ready for much "heavier" it feels, and not just the weight, but everything seems to be much more deliberate, from shifting to opening the throttle to shifting.

Pros - Throttle response - I like that it takes a bit to build up and it's been easy to ride in town.
Suspension - It is still on the stock settings but compared to the Ninja, it is waaay more settled in the turns and under hard braking.
Overall looks - I liked the Ninja but really fell for the F4i's. Would have preferred the separate seats but I ain't complaining, which leads to...
Comfort - the banana seat is just plain comfy, at least compared to the Ninja, and finally...
Throttle response - from idle to 5-6000, it's very similar feeling to the Ninja and then, sweet mama, what a blast! I haven't redlined it yet and I'm being semi-responsible as when I crack it open but, man, is it addicting! I waited to start riding until just last year (hitting the big 5-0 in a couple of months) because I knew I wasn't mature enough for this amount of speed. It is truly awe inspiring to me...

Cons - Maneuverability - I know it's not slow in the turns but the Ninja would go where ever you just "thought" about going and moved side to side with a breath. I'm sure I'll get used to the extra effort but at this time is just feels slow in the twisties. Fast sweepers on the other hand... :icon_biggrin:
MPG - I could wring the hell out of the Ninja and get 55 mpg easy. I've only gone through a tank since buying it this past Sunday so I'm not sure of my current mileage but I'm sure it won't be close to that. I figure I'll be happy as long as it's in the 40's...
Not my first bike - Totally nothing to do about it, and I love how the F4i looks, but my first will always have a special place my heart...

Only mod so far is the Coffman Shorty Exhaust I put on this afternoon. Sounds glorious without being too obnoxious! I plan on some dark blue rim tape and then start saving for a rear fender delete.

See you around!