CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Are motorycles this dangerous? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/motorycles-dangerous-158197/)

Freon 09-12-2018 07:00 PM

Are motorycles this dangerous?

Oh my god. I just bought a Honda CBR1000rr. Are motorcycles really this dangerous? I am trying to find the time to sign up the motorcycle basic riding course so I can get the motorcycle endorsement.

hamlin6 09-12-2018 07:24 PM

Generally speaking, yes motorcycles have a fair amount of danger associated with them. Having said that it sounds from the post that you are new to them. That is where the real danger is. Get your riding course under your belt then give the liter bike a shot. You've got a lot of quick reacting power underneath you. You best respect it.

tentacleslap 09-12-2018 08:52 PM

+1

600's hide mistakes. Litrebikes amplify them. Problem is, sometimes you won't know you've made a mistake until it's too late to correct it, and from personal experience, mistakes happen in a blink of an eye. Take the course. Get decent gear, and wear it religiously. Try not to drop the bike in your driveway. Once you're underway, learn to feather the inputs like an xbox controller. If you clamp down on it, she'll wanna fight. Don't brake in the middle of a turn. Don't drop the throttle until you're sure you can land a power-wheelie, cause she'll raise a wheel at the merest suggestion. Probably best to avoid the bottom-half of the throttle for a while anyway. Generally just try and be smooth. Like elevator jazz smooth

Folks'll see the 1000 badge and a lot of them'll want to race off a red light. Let them go

I found the 1000rr to be the least intimidating bike I ever rode. Much better than the sketchy ratbikes and 80's bangers I was used to. It felt like she would do anything you wanted her to. It made me feel like a better rider. I think that's why so many people get overconfident when riding them

74demon 09-13-2018 01:06 AM

Is this post for real?

Bought a 1000rr but can't find time to even sign up for the basic class then wonders if its dangerous.... And puts it in the fallen rider section.

Sounds kinda like a troll to me.

Freon 09-23-2018 11:25 AM

more details?

[QUOTE=tentacleslap;1317396]+1

600's hide mistakes. Litrebikes amplify them. Problem is, sometimes you won't know you've made a mistake until it's too late to correct it, and from personal experience, mistakes happen in a blink of an eye.

Yes, I plan to take all 3 courses. Waiting for my helmet. Could you tell me more? How does a literbike amplify mistakes? What are the mistakes? Why would you not know you have made a mistake? I was going to buy the 600rr but a coworker told me in a year I will want the 1000rr. So I bought the 1000rr. It is a 2007 but has only 3000 miles on it. Really nice. Sounds great.

74demon 09-23-2018 01:38 PM

Starting from nothing, you would not grow out of a 600rr. Most riders will never ride a 600rr to its max potential.

Learning to ride is nothing but making mistakes, then correcting them.

Please don't kill yourself.

tentacleslap 09-24-2018 01:26 AM

Agreed. The common mistakes that my buddies discovered usually involved braking in a corner, fixating on a curb, or locking the front wheel. Most of em dump a bike and never ride again. They leave their broken machines in their garages and go back to the safety of a steel cage. Then I get one less person to ride with, which sucks cause I absolutely love this sport

To answer your question, motorcycles really are that dangerous - and if that isn't obvious, it's clear you haven't really been on one before. Any one of a million tiny mistakes can absolutely put you in the ground, and even if they don't, it'll probably spoil your day. Take the course and ride safe. Your coworker seems like the 'talkative' type. Ignore every piece of advice he gives from now on

I know you probably didn't come here for a lecture, but as one total stranger to another, I hope it goes well for you

Edit - I moved this thread into the New Members Area. PM if questions/concerns

rider74 06-06-2020 06:40 PM

Man I’ve only been riding my new used ‘98 600 for about two weeks, so I’m real new other than riding dirt bikes 30 yrs ago, and these guys are right on. Take it slow! 600 cc is more power than I will ever need. I’ve come in too hot on a few corners but left myself enough room to correct, it’s a little freaky. If you don’t leave a lot on the table then you won’t realize until it’s too late to recover. Be careful man!

hamlin6 06-06-2020 10:00 PM

It's a whole different world than MX. Your world can change very quickly if you aren't careful. Taking a motorcycle safety course is always a good idea. It will teach you all the basics and then some.

Doc Samson 06-07-2020 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by rider74 (Post 1331594)
Be careful man!

It's been two years. He either "got gud" or... not, by now! lol

Still, good advice! I liken a 600 to an 80's turbo Porsche, i.e. feels kind of gutless in the lower rpm's and then... BAM, holy sh-t bricks, I'm going waaay too fast!