New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Looking into my first bike...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into my first bike...

hi all! i have been doing some reading on this forum and am looking into buying my first sport bike. i was just looking for a litle advice.
first some back round:

im a guy, 24 years old, about 6' tall and 150lbs.
i raced A.M.A. quads for several years and have 3 national titles. im a excellent rider on quads and prety fair on dirt bikes. I am only buying a honda because thats the only way to fly! that and its what i rode all my years in theAMA.however the only time i have rode a sport bike was my buddies 94? ninja 500.it was a very different expirence but super fun!

im looking to buy in january ( tax time ) and am planning on having about 2500 to spend.

i would be riding 40 miles one way to work 5 days a week. this would be the primary use. its always possible for a road trip to happen as well.

i was looking in the area of a 95-ish 900RR. i am also considering a 600. ithink i can buy a slightly newer 600 for the same money.i have read the 900's are not comfy on longer rides. im a pretty light guy so a 600 should move me pretty well im just concerned it wont be enough bike and i will get bored quickly. are the 600's realy that much slower then the 900's? ( i know niether is slow but im a performance junkie ) i just want the most fun for my money.

if anyone can offer advice or good info on pro's and cons of each bike that would be great!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Looking into my first bike...

hey Nathan and welcome to the forums!! :-)

Due to your lack of experience with fast sport bikes I would definitely go the 600 route first, they are ***** cats low down in the rev range but plenty fast enough once you have them revving and they can hang onto the coat tails of much bigger bikes very easily when ridden well :-)

If you are such a performance junky my worry would be you get a 900 and just get too carried away, its too easy to wind them up to silly speeds.

Also if you get a decent 600, they hold their values very well so you wont lose much if anything at sale time if you really do want the extra go of the 900.

Jules

Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Nathan and a warm welcome to the Forum !
First off, I ride an old 1000F which is not to say that it's slow, but a 600 will stay with me all the way up to PLENTY MPH, and run away in the twisties.(The 1000F will stay with the 900, but 929 and up are a bit quicker) They're great bikes, the 600's and you'll have loads of fun. They're docile up to about 7000RPM, and you'll wonder where the power is - believe me it's there, and plenty of it......The 600's are wicked bikes if disrespected.
Enjoy the Forum, and ask questions - we're member friendly on this Forum !

Old 12-08-2008, 11:40 AM

wow thanks for the super quick replies! i just had a customer come i who has a 98 600 f3i for sale. its supposed to be 50 degrees tomorrow so the snow should all get burnt off. as long as thr roads are clear im going to take it for a ride and see what i think!

nate

Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

6' tall and 150lbs.
My first piece of advice is to eat more.

Second, pure sportbikes suck in a 40 mile straight line twice per day, they can do it of course, but that isn't their real function. I would consider a different type of bike just because the sportbike ergos don't lend themselves to that type of riding unless you are a maniac like our very own ThirdgenLxi. Look at an Interceptor or something more set up for distance. As far as power, if you raced quads and know dirt bikes, you should have no problem adapting to anything honda can offer. Maybe even conside a 'Busa for 40 mile long straightaways and high speed touring.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

6' tall and 150lbs.
My first piece of advice is to eat more.

HAHA curse of my family. my dad is 6'6 and 180lbs. mom is 6' and my weight. all my brothers and sisters are thin bean polls. i kinda lucked out! me and my sis are the lucky ones, we are both athletic so we are muscle. no matter wheat i do its so hard for me to gain weight, i suppose i should be happy about that later in life.

about your suggestion. my first love was a interceptor but they are way out of my price range.i havenever really looked at any older bikes of that style. could you maybe recomend some? i was concerned about cramping up but dont want a harley if you understand what im saying.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 PM

Yep, 1000F's a good option.
Here's mine......
They are big heavy girls but will give you the comfort and speed you need to do those mileages every day. I regularly do over 350 miles a day on mine, and I'm getting close to retirement (I wish) he he

They don't call these bikes 'ballistic sofas for nothing !

Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 AM

Leave me pictures alone, yumug !
I can do that too, y'know..............
Thanks anyway...................