New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

lady riders?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006 | 03:34 PM
Default RE: lady riders?

yea... im in iowa and im pretty sure we dont have anything like that around here. might have some tractor rental shops-haha, my problem with starting on something small is eventually ill have to sell it and you never get what you want out of something you resell. ive been looking at the older 600s since they are cheaper for one. not a lot of people ride around here and the ones that do really think they are something special so it kinda sucks.

Old 02-26-2006 | 05:41 PM
L8X

well, whatever you decide, take it easy in the beginning.

Old 02-27-2006 | 04:53 PM

Welcome to the family!!

Old 02-28-2006 | 09:15 AM

Welcome to the site

Old 02-28-2006 | 07:37 PM

thanks all! ive been checking out the riding gear section-- very helpful! im really looking forward to this summer. i think ill be stuck on my moms honda helix though [sm=smiley21.gif] this summer. anyone ever ridden one?

Old 02-28-2006 | 09:49 PM

Let me just say this....I had a friend who took the MSF course. Graduated bought a the F4i and has dropped it numerous times due to her being scared, not turning properly, weight, etc. Her friend rides like a mad woman, and she just started. Some people pick it up and some don't. If your not sure, always start small. The 250 is a 300 pound bike. The F4i is a 370 pound bike. (Were talking dry) It is a big jump from the dinky 125ccs they make you ride at the MSF course. It's easier to move up, than it is to learn with problems. Hope you make the best decision. Let us know...

Old 02-28-2006 | 11:55 PM

first I will say Welcome!! And If you look for an OLDER bike they are alot heavier than the new ones..... If you dont want to start with 250 then you could look at the Kawasaki 500... little smaller than a 600 but bigger than a 250.... and if you decide to sell to get a 600 it will be easier than tring to sell a 250..... Hope that helps!

Old 03-03-2006 | 03:03 AM

[X(] my problem with starting on something small is eventually ill have to sell it and you never get what you want out of something you resell.
That's kind of a "penny wise - pound foolish " way of looking at it. Any bike you buy you are likely to sell at some point in the future and you will not get your total financial investment back, but depending on how long you keep it, you will have had many hours of self instruction and enjoyment from that bike. You're certainly not going to get your money back on that gas guzzling 4 wheeler. Better you take a small financial loss on a bike that fits you physically and experientally - than a hugh loss in the form of major medical bills. That's a pretty hot bike for a beginner. Perhaps the best advice anyone can give you is to be aware of your limitations (and we all have them) - as well as the bikes.
I started out on a 50 cc scooter and worked my way up to an 1100cc sport bike in a little over a year, but I'd been driving for > 20 years and had acquired a lot of road savy (plus as greater awareness of my own mortality) that was very useful to staying alive. You not only have to watch what you are doing (like the proverbial hawk), you have to be completely aware of what other vehicles around you are doing - 'cause many of them just don't see you.
Those who advocate a smaller, less "hot" bike for a starter are giving you darned good advice.
Terry

Old 03-03-2006 | 10:26 AM

Welcome Best of luck in your riding pursuits.

Old 03-03-2006 | 01:51 PM

Hi Jess,
This is my first time posting in here - used to be active on the SBL (Short Bikers List), now go to the DRN (Dirt Riders Network) a bunch. I'm a 5'3" woman and have been riding since the mid 70's, my '05 CBR F4i is my 5th street bike. The RR is too big for me, had to lower the F4i as it was, plus had the springs professionally lightened for my 120# body.

I would also recommend starting on something smaller - a Ninja 500, Seca 2 etc, there's lots of choices. Instead of worrying about how much you'll lose on the resale, view this as your first bike of many to come, keep the RR as a goal. Learn on a bike you can drop and pick up without spending $$$$ on new plastic, something that's easy to handle, take classes, get help from your friends who ride.

Now I'm off to the Ladies Room!
-Susan

Quick Reply: lady riders?