New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

just wanted to say hi

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just wanted to say hi

first off let me say hello and my name is rob. im brand new to the world of bikes ive been around them but never really ridden one. im goin to be getting a 1987 flat black cbr 600 from my uncle with about 10,000 miles on it and the motor has just been rebuilt by him. im looking forward to learning right now im just looking to see what aftermarket parts are out there for this bike and what i can do to make the rear end better looking or the front end without spending alot of moneyany help would be great.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Default RE: just wanted to say hi

Welcome...and take it steady. In England you would have to progress through 125cc compulsory training and tests (and if you were young) up to 2 years road experience before being allowed to ride anything like the CBR600. At over 90bhp and weighing twice as much as the rider there is more than enough to get into trouble and even get you dead in a hurry. Pull the throttle hard and you will pass 120 before you know it, do it on a wet road outside a gas station where the diesel trucks spill there newly filled tanks and you (no-one) can handle the speed/slide.

Maybe sitting here with my cast on I am a little jaded but with over 30 years of biking experience My new CBR1000 only took 30 miles to chuck me onto the tarmac. Take it from me (please) treat your bike with the same respect you would show a box of dynamite. Build your experience and confidence and don't get carried away with the undeniable thrill of pure G force. The 600 you ride on the road today is virtually identical to the factory race models that won everything back in the late 80s. It deserves respect and good maintainance.

I hope you have many years of safe exhilaration.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM

Great choice on a starter its carbed so its a lil forgiving compared to say an 03 RR.I owned and 89 Hurricane F...the start of it all and there really is no way to fatten up the back of that bike..it wasnt until the 98-99 i would say that tires got a lil wider and the long lean look gave way to race ready and..so take the time and learn on the 87 and keep your eye out for the deal on the 03.I know the day i got my 03 and finally got rid of the skinny rear end...i had arrived...LOL

Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

Ideally a smaller bike would be better to learn on, but as 600s go the older CBRs are a good choice. Pleasetake the MSF course and ride slower than you think you should for a long while. Even though the 87 is slower than a new 600, it can be a handful for a noob and trust me, falling hurts and it can be expensive.

In England you would have to progress through 125cc compulsory training and tests (and if you were young) up to 2 years road experience before being allowed to ride anything like the CBR600.
I'd like to see the U.S. do a graduated licensing too, but I have a feeling that Harley Davidson would never let that happen since they don't have an entry level cruiser (buells don't count).