CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Just want to introduce myslef (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/just-want-introduce-myslef-154809/)

PolishGirl 08-13-2016 05:25 PM

Just want to introduce myslef

I'm from central IL and i've been on a 1998 f3 smikin joes for two years now.
I havent had any issues till recently so i figured i'd join up and ask few questions as they come up.
Have red through bunch of write ups already, lots of good stuff.
https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...df&oe=5817F336

74demon 08-13-2016 06:10 PM

Welcome!

Got questions? Ask away....

coalminer frank 08-13-2016 07:02 PM

Welcome, nice bike, real nice. I love F2's & F3's. I like my F2 better than I like my 08 CBR1K.

PolishGirl 08-13-2016 10:01 PM

i'm about to do a major tune up on my bike. was thinking about new sprocket size, maybe jets. not to concerned with top speed, just want to keep up with the 1k's.
what would you guys recommend and from where?

coalminer frank 08-14-2016 07:00 AM

-1front +2 rear is a popular chain & sprocket upgrade at 520 size. Hate to bust your bubble but you're bike cant keep up with modern 1k's. Unless you're a better rider than the dipstick on the 1k, plain and simple. My 08 cbr 1k has almost 150hp and weighs 440 pounds, better forks, aluminum frame, better brakes, so on and so forth, the F3 weighs 460ish, maybe 90hp, steel frame, smaller forks, smaller brakes, etc, etc,. I can go almost as fast on my F2 than my 08 1k around Summit Point race track, my F2 is track only with racing slicks and no street stuff,(no lights etc). My 1k is my streetbike with street tires. Either way, F2's & F3's are great fast bikes and respond to tasteful modifications. You want to be able to go fast? Do the suspension first. The first thing to modify on a bike ( other than good tires) if you want to go fast is the suspension.

PolishGirl 08-14-2016 09:34 AM

by "keep up" i dont mean beat or even compete on the same skill level. Been riding since i was 10 and weight lot less than an average rider, i just want a little extra pep.

coalminer frank 08-14-2016 03:29 PM

By keeping up I guess you mean "on a spirited ride threw the twisties". A tune up, fresh plugs, jet kit, valve clearance check, wont hurt a bit. How bout a R6 throttle tube= less twist to get to full throttle. Set your suspension sag, so it rides in the middle of the travel. Maybe when winter comes get your suspension done based on your weight. Fork springs, fork oil, seals and bushings. Also an aftermarket shock such as a Fox or Ohlins rebuilt for you weight also. Definitely get some street/track day tires. I ran Dunlop Q2's on my F2 at the track in 2011, great tire, definitely a knee dragging tire. I kept getting faster and faster to where I needed to upgrade to race tires but for the street they would be great.

Conrice 08-14-2016 09:19 PM

Tires and getting the bike sprung for you would be good. There's nothing wrong with wanting some extra pep. I had an ignition advance sprocket on my bike and jetting to match my pipe, and I bypassed the air solenoid. But this is really a tuning aspect, it'll take a while to dial in what works for your bike.

You can upgrade brakes by doing SS lines and possibly finding a better and more modern master cylinder (but you'd want the same overall size master, I do NOT know what size the OEM master is).

You said you're already lighter than most of the other guys, so you can capitalize on it further by getting rid of whatever you can (see air solenoid for example)

Jaybird180 08-15-2016 09:36 AM

On my F4i, I had no problem keeping up with liter bikes on the street. But when we got clear road in front, they twisted and I just resigned to catching up later.

I agree about the suspension. When I got mine done it completely changed the bike and rider combo.

I've done the -1+2 sprocket change and didn't like it. Yes, you'll get more acceleration but you'll pay dearly on the top end. If you're better at launches then keep your standard gearing.

When I really got on it, I could go to the rev limiter and clutcless upshift to stay competitive.

Track riding is whole 'nother ballgame. It depends on the track. I recall one year on AMA where a team fielded a GSXR-750 against the literbikes and still placed near the top (that was during the reign of Mladin). I'm drawing a blank on the rider's name but as I recall M4/Emgo was the bike builder/ sponsor.

coalminer frank 08-15-2016 12:35 PM

-1 +2 might be an annoyance if you ride a lot of interstate highways. I have -1F on my F2 and I can redline 6th at the end of Summit Points 3000ft front straight. If I had -1 +2 I would redline 6th too early and have to let off, wasting time/getting passed. Like I said before, I can go almost as fast on my track only F2 as I can on my 1k at the track, but I'm really riding the F2 hard to go that fast. All that horsepower of a big bike really gets you moving faster coming up to the turns so you have to slow down sooner, sometimes scrubbing off too much speed. I remember when in AMA racing Tommy Hayden ran a Kawasaki 636 in 750 supersport, he lead the race quite a few times but the grunt of the 750 was pass him on the big straight every time.

Jaybird180 08-15-2016 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank (Post 1297681)
-1 +2 might be an annoyance if you ride a lot of interstate highways. I have -1F on my F2 and I can redline 6th at the end of Summit Points 3000ft front straight. If I had -1 +2 I would redline 6th too early and have to let off, wasting time/getting passed. Like I said before, I can go almost as fast on my track only F2 as I can on my 1k at the track, but I'm really riding the F2 hard to go that fast. All that horsepower of a big bike really gets you moving faster coming up to the turns so you have to slow down sooner, sometimes scrubbing off too much speed. I remember when in AMA racing Tommy Hayden ran a Kawasaki 636 in 750 supersport, he lead the race quite a few times but the grunt of the 750 was pass him on the big straight every time.

As I recall, the 636 didn't come out until 2004 and by that time 750SS had converted to 600cc in AMA.

coalminer frank 08-15-2016 01:45 PM

Must've been a 600 then, sorry. Either way he was up front the whole race except where it mattered. Point being 600's are fast and can keep up is certain situations, (ie tight tracks). Everything is relative, what faster, a bicycle or Kawasaki H2R, well if they were at Bonneville Salt Flats, the Kawasaki. If the were racing around my house in my yard, the bicycle. lol.

74demon 08-15-2016 03:11 PM

Jaybird180 08-15-2016 03:28 PM

Hilarious video! Where is that?

74demon 08-15-2016 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird180 (Post 1297688)
Hilarious video! Where is that?

Thailand.

There was good one I saw a while back of a guy on a 125 or 250 on a track in Germany. He was running right by the 1000s in every corner like they were parked. But of course they passed him back in the straights....

Jaybird180 08-15-2016 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1297691)
Thailand.

There was good one I saw a while back of a guy on a 125 or 250 on a track in Germany. He was running right by the 1000s in every corner like they were parked. But of course they passed him back in the straights....

I had a kid on a 125 or 250 blast by me at Willow Springs while I was on a ZX6.

PolishGirl 08-16-2016 09:53 PM

Thanks a lot for all the great info
I'm gonna start with -1f+2r sprocket (i can always go back if i don't like it)and moderate size jets.
I love the idea of R6 throttle tube, which years fit best?
Dunlop Q2 is what i was looking at anyway so i'll be getting them put on next week.

74demon 08-16-2016 10:46 PM

Q2? How old are they?
They haven't made those a for a few years. Don't put anything on your bike thats over 3 years old. The rubber hardens as it ages to the point that it's dangerous after 3 or 4 years. It's a matter of life and death on a bike when you depend on grip so much.

There is a date code on tires. It will be stamped on the side, usually in an oval. 4512, for example, means it was made the 45th week ( early November) of 2012.

I wouldn't put anything on mine that was made earlier than 2015. There are too many tires out there to use old stock.

coalminer frank 08-17-2016 06:34 AM

I mentioned Q2's because thats what I ran in 2011, when I first got back out to the track after 12 years of no track. They were new at the time. They make Q3's now which supposed to be better and I actually run them on my 08 CBR 1000RR street and track. Awesome tire but I dont know if the make the size for the F2 or F3 (160/60 rear). R6 throttle tube, I have one on my 08 1k but its a specific year that I cant remember, I believe its 1/5 turn, but I ordered a standard Motion Pro R6 replacement and put it on my F2, I believe it 1/4 turn.

PolishGirl 09-10-2016 07:11 PM

Finally dropped my wheels of at a local bike shop to get new tires.
im getting SPORTMAX ROADSMART II.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...e3&oe=58780B02

and few shots of my bike getting ready for a carb job

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...5e&oe=58427F73

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...52&oe=584913A5