New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

just lookin for info right now...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just lookin for info right now...

Hey all, I've got an opportunity to buy a '91 CBR600F2, in pieces, for $500. I haven't had a look at it yet, but if it seems to be in decent shape, I'll be joining the CBR fold. I'm a lifelong Honda fan, riding an xr200 every weekend in the mountains here on the south island, as well as going out riding on my buddy's '08 crf450R a couple times a month.
Right now I just wanna get a feel for the F2's since it seems I'll likely be buying a "some assembly required" bike, I figure I ought to get as much knowledge as I can about 'em before I jump in headfirst.
The word from the seller is he stripped the frame to have it painted, then lost interest in bikes, so the motor is all together, but the everything's apart otherwise.
Obviously I'll be buying a manual before I start bolting stuff together, but are there any specific problems I should look out for? Common stress crack zones in the frame? Bearings that are often overlooked in maintenance? Stuff that can't possibly be put together without some kinda specialty tool? Single use parts like crush sleeves, etc that will need replacing as I re-assemble the bike?
Any other tips or pointers to do with these bikes?
thanks

Sam

Old 06-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there squamch, sounds like you're undertaking quite the project there. But for $500 bucks, sounds like a good deal anyways. Probably best to ask particulars in the F2 Section. Good luck with the build...
Welcome to CBRF

Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, I'm not too worried about the mechanics of it, I've bought a few assembly required trucks and cars in my past and I've got a solid collection of tools. I will go put up a thread in the F2 section though, dunno why that never occured to me.