New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Just bought my first motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first motorcycle

I bought a 2001 silver CBR600 F4i for 1500 bucks. Plastic is somewhat beat and I need to replace mirrors, windscreen, front plastic, and both foot peg brackets or rearsets I guess is what you guys call them. I was gonna buy a Gixxer till a buddy od mine said "How do you know what you want when you've never owned a bike at all"? It has 25000 miles on it. After I learn and get good on a bike I'm wanting to replace all the plastic. Got a couple questions being a newbie. Is Carbon Fiber truly lighter than Plastic and is the price worth it? Anybody know of some websites that have the best deals on plastic and carbon fiber?

Also any advice for a new rider?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by recniabsal
Also any advice for a new rider?
Hi and welcome. I can't help you with the fairing questions but please take an MSF safety class this spring. They will teach you how to ride it the right way so you don't learn any potentially bad habits from friends. I started riding over 35 years ago and I just took the basic MSF class last year. Lots of fun and well worth it.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:05 PM

WEAR THAT GEAR!!!! lol jacket, gloves, good jeans. ect... don't jump on it in a white t and shorts. you can really get messed up man. always drive for other people. people in cars don't care about people on a motorcycle. umm lets see. in a turn don't look where you are going but where you wanna go. meaning always stay ahead of the turn you never know what will be waiting for you. just most of all man just besafe and have lots of fun!!! good luck to you!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 PM

Congrats! Lets see some pictures of the new toy

Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Congrats! Lets see some pictures of the new toy
+1 pics

CF is lighter than plastic but really, how heavy is plastic? My OEM fairing weigh maybe (MAYBE!) 20 lbs. Don't worry about it and have fun. If you decide you want new fairings in the future order a set from cbr fairings or delkvic or auctmarts.

Congrats man and welcome to the family. Ride to live!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Oh and as for the advice - take an MSF class first and foremost.
and wear your gear!

and there is no point in getting carbon fiber. You're not going to notice the weight difference and its very expensive.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSF Course + ATGATT...

ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME... can't say from experience, but road rash after a motorcycle accident is pretty brutal looking... think of your gear as a second, sacrificial layer of skin... if you go down, scrape up the gear and keep your skin!

Also; remember... helmet only is not ATG If the trip is not worth putting on a jacket, boots and gloves, maybe you should take the car.

Last edited by nowensby; 01-30-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:25 AM

Welcome to the forum. Now where are those pictures of your ride? Show off that bad boy. lol

Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 AM

I've never posted pictures on a forum before so give me a little bit while I doodle and experiment on my computer.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Congrats on the new bike and a good choice at that. So mate wherein do you call home. I concur with the fact of wearing gear, it has saved me life more than once.

Last edited by ga_skyline_rydr; 02-11-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first motorcycle