New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Its been a long time..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its been a long time..........

Well I havent riden a bike since 92, just never really had the desire to get another one until this past Monday.I actually traded my 96 Nissan 240sx se for this 98 CBR 900 RR.
The bike has 26,000 miles on it but has less then 300 miles on a rebuild.As you can see it has a custom paint job and is stretched, a tad bit much for me.I am planning on swapping that out for a stock one once I get the funds gathered up and the fairings fixed up.The back left one is cracked up pretty bad, hate to mess up the paint job but theres no getting around it.
The bike isnt perfect but with a little work it will be a nice rider.I need to go to Honda and get some bolts and those Zues fasteners for the side panels, get a rear brake pedal, a rear brake fluid resivior and some other little things before I can actually take it back out on the road.
Let me know what you guys think and give me some options on what to do to it next.I havent had a bike since 92 so I am kinda lost when it comes to getting parts and such.
Thanks,
Chris

Name:  rr1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  131.3 KB
Name:  rr3.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  94.8 KB

Name:  rr5.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  115.2 KB
Name:  rr6.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  99.1 KB

Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 AM
Banned

Welcome to CBRF!! That's a nice 900RR!! They have always been one of my favorite styles of CBR. I like the flames on it. Pity you'll have to mess that up. Definitely get rid of that extended swing arm. Your bike will not only look better, but it will handle much better too.

As for finding parts these days, things are a little different now than they were back in '92. E-bay is probably your best resource for parts and usually has the best prices as well. Good luck with your new baby and after 17 years off of a bike, be sure to take it nice and easy getting back into it. We want you around here for awhile.

Take care and enjoy the forums!!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:50 PM
mpz

I hear ya Chris. I pretty much had to take 13 yrs off from riding but I've been back since beginning of 07 and I'm loving every minute of it. Interesting bike you got there, not my cup of tea but def. interesting. Welcome!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Thanks alot for the welcomes.

I have actually found a few places to get some parts and some good break downs of where the parts go, it is bikebandit.com They kinda have schematics of all the parts so that is helping me figure everything out.

What is the difference between the F3, F4s and so on? Is it just like a generation thing?

I am going to be dropping my engine here soon, not that it needs it but everything is pretty oxidized and it looks like crap.I want to pull it and clean it up and then paint it all up.I am very picky when it comes to looks and being clean,lol.

I started fixing the one fairing on the left side.It was fixed once before at a different location so I have to re-fix that also, got carried away with the sander,lol.Thats no biggie though, I had avanced composite repair school while I was in the Navy, so this sort of thing is so easy for me.

I just posted my swing arm for trade on the local craigslist so hopefully someone will be wanting a swap.They will be getting a good deal because it looks like my swing arm is like over a thousand dollars to buy, but its just not me.A couple friends I have are like keep it but I cant stand the fact I cant turn worth a crap anywhere.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello & welcome aboard Chris!
Paint job on the bike is great...but I'm with eweppley & Classic on the extnd swingarm thingie
"A couple friends I have are like keep it but I cant stand the fact I cant turn worth a crap anywhere."

Besides I think the whole drag bike,chromed/polished/custom paint sportbike scene has kinda of run it's course already.
Good luck with the refab & keep us posted....with pics of course
BTW....the F3,F4 thing is a generational thing..... for the 600s...*gosh he really has been gone along time* "
J/K

Last edited by hondajunkie; 08-10-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there lxtasy, congrats on your new bike. Sounds like you really know your stuff and that the bike's in capable hands.
You'll probably have that thing in better than new condition in no time. Couldn't help but notice the Boriqua colors; wuepa! Lol...
Welcome to CBRF

Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
Hey there lxtasy, congrats on your new bike. Sounds like you really know your stuff and that the bike's in capable hands.
You'll probably have that thing in better than new condition in no time. Couldn't help but notice the Boriqua colors; wuepa! Lol...
Welcome to CBRF

Thanks.Thats my GFs, not mine,lol.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Well its all tore apart now.I droppped the engine out and cleaned the whole frame, its almost spotless now.

Now I come to color options.I would have liked to keep the flames and all but I really need to do alot of plastic work and in that process the paint is going to get messed up.I just cant afford a 500-1000 dollar paint job so I am going back to a basic color now.But what color? I would like to go Red or Black, which would be your opinions?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, looks like you're getting right into it...

As far as color... that's a tough one.
I'm painting my car at the moment in a medium blue pearl, but it's really personal preference. Black would probably be cheaper than red.
I like black a lot, too.
Some colors just don't look right on bikes (especially certain bikes).
Red and black almost always look good, though...

Good luck on the paint. Maybe look at other 900RRs for colors that look good on it.

Quick Reply: Its been a long time..........