New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

How many times have you been asked this question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many times have you been asked this question?

I have a few things that have been bothering me for some time and this is my first real thread. Please bare with me.

Why is it that people that see I have a helmet and or riding a bike feel compelled to ask "Why do you ride a bike? Do you want to kill yourself?"
1st of all if I could choose to kill myself it wouldn’t be on a bike because lets face it, that is not fair to the bike. LOL
2nd of all if I were to kill myself I would make sure it was in something big and heavy enough to kill all those retards asking me the same question over and over.

The rant goes on.......
Another infamous question or story is "I had a friend and or relative who had a bike, he was in a horrible crash and now he is a veggie or dead."
Once again, did I ask you about your horrible experience? Do I tell you, about every fallen rider I know? R.I.P. Brothers and sisters you know who you are.
Or worse yet do I tell you about every car accident I have ever seen or heard about? NO! So shut your face.

Why do people tell me "I would get a bike......except I would prolly kill myself. lol.
LOL? That is not funny but I do respect the fact that you don’t get a bike. So do us all a favor and keep those ignorant comments to yourself. I don’t like be reminded on a second basis of my dearest friends that are no longer with us because people like you feel the same way about cars and still drive.

Finally, why do other riders constantly voice their opinion about their so called safe riding habits? For instance, I am from Florida and I do on frequent occasion ride in, Are you ready for this? Shorts flip flops and a helmet. OMG! I can’t believe he just said that. He rides in flip flops or sandals and shorts? Yes I do, I don’t do it for style, and I don’t do it for the Shock Value that comes with my decision. It is my body and if I am comfortable with my self and riding abilities I will ride with what makes me......COMFORTABLE! Which brings me to the obsession with the term SQUID and how everyone throws it around, but that is another rant for another day.

Now comes the part and I know you have all heard this and or said it before, "I don’t worry about me its all those other crazy @ssholes on the road." Let me agree with you that you may be safe and we all can’t stop the other people from pulling crazy acts while driving and or riding. But a good rider can recognize these behaviors and put themselves in a situation to avoid most of these issues before they arise.
Now I know I am not the best rider in the world but, I refuse to ride around scared about what the other guy is going to do. If something is going to happen it is going to happen, its how you handle it that makes all the difference.

To finally end this ridiculously long rant and to let the HATE mail to begin, I ask my fellow riders what they think of these scenarios and have a discussion on them.

Slowestgixxer.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Default RE: How many times have you been asked this question?

Is this guy trolling or what?[:'(]

Old 04-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Retired Moderator

First of all, welcome to the site. Understand we are all pretty safety conscious here. It is not a "holier than thou" thing, or "we are better riders that you" thing, but a "sick of hearing about downed riders" thing. You may hear squid from time to time...just par for the course, I guess. There are a few members who have been down in the last few weeks, and they seem to say that they were glad they were wearing their gear, or...will never ride unless fully dressed again. Good luck to you, and we're glad to have you here!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Can we call you "the preacher"...lol j/k.....