New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Honda cbr600f4i starter switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda cbr600f4i starter switch problem

So I recently got a 2003 cbr600 and when I go to start it for the first time it's starts right up. I will drive for about 15 min and then turn off the bike and if I try to go start it again, nothing. I don't hear any clicks or even the starter. But if I let the bike sit for 15 min after it cools I'm assuming it will fire up again. Could it be a bad switch or starter. Thanks in advance

Old 04-22-2017, 11:50 AM

Yeah - same thing happened to me - same symptoms - it was the starter button - over time the contacts get dirty or fur up with verdigris which leads to intermittent switch problems and eventually failure if not treated.

Open up the clam assembly housing the starter switch and clean up the contacts with some electric contact cleaner and a cotton bud - after that it should start fine. I got the same issue with the indicator switch not turning on the indicators a few weeks later - again I cleaned the contacts and it was fine (I also covered the contact in some electrical silicone grease to protect it from the damp).

Old 04-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by bap de la bap
Yeah - same thing happened to me - same symptoms - it was the starter button - over time the contacts get dirty or fur up with verdigris which leads to intermittent switch problems and eventually failure if not treated.

Open up the clam assembly housing the starter switch and clean up the contacts with some electric contact cleaner and a cotton bud - after that it should start fine. I got the same issue with the indicator switch not turning on the indicators a few weeks later - again I cleaned the contacts and it was fine (I also covered the contact in some electrical silicone grease to protect it from the damp).

Alright I'll try that. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks so much man. This bike would be so cool if I can go to the gas station and not have to look funny while I run with the bike just to start it

Old 04-24-2017, 02:15 AM

No problem - hopefully it's just a dirty switch and an easy fix - (also check the condition of your battery terminals and cables - make sure that they are not dirty or corroded) - when the bike heats up the electrical system experiences extra resistance which lowers amperage - so an electrical system that will work with dirty/corroded switch contacts when cold will have a harder time working after extra heat is introduced into the system due to the amperage drop.

If this doesn't fix it then we can look further down the chain in the elctrical system.

Old 06-01-2022, 02:04 AM
Default I got a 2001 CBR600 f4i I turn my ignition switch own I got power but no neutral ligh

On my 2001 CBR 600 f4i I turn my key on everything lights up hornbrows but no nutrilite light comes on and it won't do nothing by the start but

Old 06-01-2022, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum. Could be a bad neutral switch. If you hold the clutch lever in, can you start it then? When was the last time you were able to start it?