New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi. Thinking of getting one and looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. Thinking of getting one and looking for advice.

Hello. As above, I’m thinking of getting a CBR600F and looking for advice. Okay, I know almost everyone on here will be an enthusiast but not having ridden one, I’m just looking for advice as to whether this bike could be suitable for me and my intended use.

Currently (and don’t laugh) I have had a Honda SH300 since 2009 which is my daily commuter scooter. I do 12 miles each way, more than half is on the A13 between Dagenham and East Ham where most days I’m zipping along between lanes 2 and 3 passing the slow moving traffic. Once a year for the last 6 years I’ve done a European trip of a couple of thousand miles minimum with friends lasting about a week. Before you laugh, not on the SH - for the last 4 years I’ve done it on my FJR 1300 which I have just sold. Two years before that I did it on a 650 Burgman. Both those bikes were great with plenty of luggage storage on them - the Burgman under the Seat, on the seat and in the top box. The FJR of course has panniers, top box and a tank bag. Problem was, that’s about all I used them for - I found them just a bit too big for my commute. I’m no spring chicken and I’ll be 60 this year and on this years Euro trip I found it just too long, too big and too heavy so I sold it a couple of weeks ago.

What im looking for is a bike nimble enough for the commute that should I want, I could fit some panniers/soft bags, perhaps a tail bag or top box, touring screen and do my trip. I’m sure 600cc is plenty powerful for a Euro trip (the Burgman was fine) but I don’t want one that I’m leaning on the tank as I don’t think my back could take it! I won’t be carrying a pillion (wifey refuses to even sit on a bike) and I like the upright or slightly leaning forward position. I’m 5’11” and 16 stone. I’m not a great fan of wind in my face or body so looking for something with a bit of wind protection. Presumably there’s a few different screens available for these?

So, what I’m asking is could the 600F be for me? Assuming it is, is there anything to look out for when buying one? I’m looking to pay anything up o £4K, perhaps more if it’s got luggage or other extras. Is that enough? What about mileage - what are these bikes reasonably good for - I’ll be doing approximately 5,000 miles per year. And how about maintenance - common expensive service routines, chains and sprockets etc - I’ve never had a bike with a chain! I am a motor mechanic by trade so will be self-maintaining it. I have a complete workshop and tools (including tyre changing facilities) at my disposal so what are they like to work on?

The only other bike I’m considering at the moment is the Suzuki GSX650F. Any advice on those - probably not on here but has anyone had both and can give a comparison?

Many thanks
Steve

Old 10-01-2017, 02:07 PM

To be completely honest, it sounds like the 650 would be more suited to your needs. The 600F, while not the most aggressive position in the world, still has a significantly more aggressive position than what it sounds like you'll want.

Give Motorcycle Ergonomics a look and put in your info for any bike to give yourself a pretty good idea of what kind of riding position you can expect. The 600Fs will all have a riding position of 30 degrees of forward lean angle or more, along with a leg position less suited to long distance travel and more suited to traveling shorter distances very rapidly

In terms of power, if your commute involves a lot of stop-and-go traffic the 650 would probably be a better choice. It'll have more torque in the low RPM range than the 600F will at the expense of high RPM performance and top speed. That's not to say it's a slouch by any means, but that's something I would certainly consider. It should also have better fuel economy than the 600F over long distances.

You may also want to consider the Ninja 650. A used one in great shape should easily fall in your price range, and it's the best looking 650 out there IMO. Good luck, and welcome to the forums

Old 10-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Thanks. Looking at Motorcycle Ergonomics, I see what you mean! Looking at that site, a RD400 would be best for me with a 3° forward lean! I guess I’ll have to get out around the dealers and sit on a few. If I was buying new, I could have a test ride (tried Yamaha Tracer 900 but didn’t like that) but it’s a bit more difficult with their secondhand ones isn’t it? I heard that they don’t let you you out on them.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:48 PM

Here in the US, some dealers do and some don't. Can't speak to the dealerships in your area.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:34 AM

Honda Deauville may be one to consider, never had one but from your post I'd say it fits the bill.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Motman
Thanks. Looking at Motorcycle Ergonomics, I see what you mean! Looking at that site, a RD400 would be best for me with a 3° forward lean! I guess I’ll have to get out around the dealers and sit on a few. If I was buying new, I could have a test ride (tried Yamaha Tracer 900 but didn’t like that) but it’s a bit more difficult with their secondhand ones isn’t it? I heard that they don’t let you you out on them.
Most dealers I’ve dealt with will let you ride their secondhand bikes, Premier Bikes here in Oxford are brilliant, they stick a set trade plates on and off you go.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:42 AM

@Rob2m A Deauville would suit me for my yearly trip but I think the panniers are built in on those and I would prefer no panniers for my daily filtering commute.

@Gunk. Didn’t think of that. Thanks, something to bear in mind.