New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi. I'm Samantha.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. I'm Samantha.

So, hey... I'm Samantha. I'm in south Jersey, about to be 25 in a few days. I work in the human services field, have my Master's degree, and am hoping to be a certified behavior analyst by the end of the year.

I took the MSF course in the end of June, passed everything, got the endorsement added to my license, and am now in the market for a bike.

I'm looking for a 2001 or newer CBR 600. I'm 5'5", about 120 lbs., and imagine that I'll be quite content with doing about 30 mph around the neighborhood until I feel comfortable with the bike! Aside from completing the MSF course, I have no experience with riding, so I'm definitely on the cautious side.

I am not a stranger to the 'import scene', as I used to own a Lexus IS300 and had modified that quite a bit. I traded in the IS, bought a Toyota Highlander two years ago, and am finding myself wanting to balance my faux attempt at passing for a suburban Mom. Haha. Bikes are very new to me, though. I've been reading posts for a week or so and am looking forward to being a member on here now.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard Samantha!

Excellent that you took the MSF Course! Most of us here recommend it. Kudos to you for deciding to take it & getting your license the right way. You sound very level-headed & realize that motorcycling - while exhilarating - takes some time to learn...& learn properly. Practice, practice, practice the skills & safety techniques you learned in your MSF course once you get your bike. You'll do fine.

Take your time finding a bike. Keep a level head & do your research on how to look at used bikes. We have many helpful tips here. Also, google "used motorcycle buyer's guide" or similar & you'll find many good checklists & tips in shopping for used bikes.

Glad you found us. And, keep us posted on your bike search & shopping. :-)

Old 07-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome Samantha.

Congrats on passing the class, and more importantly, joining our forum! You will love it here and learn a great deal. Good luck finding the perfect bike for you. Ask as many questions as you like and feel free to join in on some conversations on here. Don't be shy, your almost family now...

Old 07-15-2012, 03:59 AM

Welcome to the forum, and happy birthday. You have some nice riding area by you, especially while you are getting use to a new bike and all. You can get on some of the back roads where there is not much traffic. Voorhees and Cherry Hill area can be quite miserable at the wrong time of day, good luck finding a bike, BTW there are a few on Craigs List near us, just make sure you take somebody that knows bikes good to check them out. Personally the f4i should be a nice bike for you to start with.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, nice to see a rider that asks questions before they have issues.
I'd recommend doing a lot of reading in the new member and riding skill sections.
A lot of the advice overlaps but it will give you a better comprehensive view, overall.

When you start spotting the contenders for your bike, it can help if you post here,
for opinions and ideas on value/suitability to your purchase.

The one obvious issue that will crop up is saddle height. You might consider the 250
CBR's or a 250/500 Ninja, unless you are interested in installing a lowering link to the rear
shock on the 600 series bikes. Another approach is boots with a bit of added heel/sole.
Or a combination of those methods.

Final bit of advice, get the gear and always wear it. Helmet/gloves/jacket and boots
are the minimum for entry into the sport. Check the women's section for gender specific
ideas/advice. You mentioned being a mom, so ensure that you always
come home safely. If you're on a budget, besure to check re-sale/thrift stores and
the local pawnshops. I outfitted my wife for under $150, including chaps to the above
mentioned minimum.

Welcome again and good luck, Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 07-15-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I have been a member on forums before, and I've met some good people that I still connect with. Hoping the same for here!

I am searching Craigslist constantly. Just waiting for 'the right one', like every other woman out there... Ha!

But I am not a mother. No, no. I was joking about rocking a midsize SUV and looking like a "soccer mom" in it. Evesham Twp. police started to have more of an obsession with my IS than me; my Highlander is so under the radar, even with tinted windows.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome! The f4i is. Great bike to go with. Like any other Motorcycle it has more than enough power to get you into and out of trouble. Good choice taking the MSF course.. Hope you find your ride soon.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Talking

Welcome! Yea, I agree with everyone, congrats on completing the course. That was my first experience on a bike too, and then I went and bought an 06 F4i and love it. Def has great balance, not nearly that heavy, but enough power to keep you interested. I am nearing 8 months of riding and have learned a lot from the guys and ladies on here.

Hope to see pics of your bike when you get her, oh and def as questions on here if you have any of your new bike and what the seller might be telling you. I am surprised on how smart a lot of these folk are.

Take care and be safe w/ that fake @$$ suburban mom car :P

Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 AM

I have a Dianese Shotgun jacket on the way, and my helmet is already here, an HJC FS-10.

Originally Posted by squidhead
Welcome to the forum, and happy birthday. You have some nice riding area by you, especially while you are getting use to a new bike and all. You can get on some of the back roads where there is not much traffic. Voorhees and Cherry Hill area can be quite miserable at the wrong time of day, good luck finding a bike, BTW there are a few on Craigs List near us, just make sure you take somebody that knows bikes good to check them out. Personally the f4i should be a nice bike for you to start with.
Thanks. I definitely plan on cruising around locally! The highway is not even a consideration for me at this point.

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
The f4i is. Great bike to go with. Like any other Motorcycle it has more than enough power to get you into and out of trouble.
That's what I've heard! I thought about getting a 250 but was advised to not by a few more seasoned riders. The 600 should be good. I've always been a fan of Honda, so the choice to go with a CBR was pretty clear.

Originally Posted by NewSense45
Take care and be safe w/ that fake @$$ suburban mom car :P
Will do! But watch it! I do love my SUV.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Samantha071600cc
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I have been a member on forums before, and I've met some good people that I still connect with. Hoping the same for here!

I am searching Craigslist constantly. Just waiting for 'the right one', like every other woman out there... Ha!

But I am not a mother. No, no. I was joking about rocking a midsize SUV and looking like a "soccer mom" in it. Evesham Twp. police started to have more of an obsession with my IS than me; my Highlander is so under the radar, even with tinted windows.
There was a nice looking 2002 Red/black F4I listed on Craigslist in Toms River for ? 3800.00 The bike was posted about 1 month ago, had decent miles, and some extras? Just figured id let you know.