New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi --I'm new to forum : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi --I'm new to forum : )

I'm new to forums in general but thought it might be helpful since I am doing more maintenance and repairs on my bike. I have 39500miles on 2nd odometer -- first odometer had 25000ish miles on it when I totaled it. I had the bike rebuilt and aside from maintenance (knock on wood) It is doing a weird thing where it will not start after right for awhile. The bike, when in neutral, does not show in neutral and will not start. This only occurs after I have been riding it and never has occurred when I first cold start the bike. I have asked a few fellow riders and It is brought up that it is an issue with something heating up and not allowing a connection but I don't understand of what-- I work in a hospital so I have a busy work schedule and I am trying to do the leg work prior to taking it in if it is something I am able to repair.

My mechanical experience on this bike:
I have been doing my oil changes for 10 years -- I have changed my battery twice since buying the bike in 2008. I change the brakes myself and also changed my front tire this past winter for the first time myself. I take the bike in when I have any chain, sprocket or rear tire issue. So I have some mechanical experience and understanding of this bike but need to diagnose the issue as 1) something I can do with research and forums or 2) pull the girl card and take it in for professional help. I would like to have a better understanding of my bike so I hope to be able to resolve myself but I don't want to jeopardize safety.

Thank you in advance and nice to be added to the group
Deanne G.
Naples, FL

Old 09-23-2018, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Deanne, welcome to the forum

From what you describe, it sounds like a neutral switch might have gone bad. Does your bike have one? Does the rest of the dash light up normally when you turn the ignition?

If so, it should be cheap and pretty easy to replace, but a lot of times you have to remove a couple parts to get to it. We don't know your bike's model, so I can't say for sure that it'd be easy, but if you're comfortable with tires or brakes, this shouldn't be much challenge. Let us know if you'd like a hand troubleshooting it

Old 09-23-2018, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb600

[Hi - sorry I didn't realize I forgot to mention model - 2004 CB600, Hornet 599.... the neutral green light goes out and I sometimes (rarely) can start it by depressing the foot shifter just before 1st and it starts but usually have yo wait 30 or so min. something about it heating up ( "it" I'm not sure of)

QUOTE=tentacleslap;1317584]Hi Deanne, welcome to the forum

From what you describe, it sounds like a neutral switch might have gone bad. Does your bike have one? Does the rest of the dash light up normally when you turn the ignition?

If so, it should be cheap and pretty easy to replace, but a lot of times you have to remove a couple parts to get to it. We don't know your bike's model, so I can't say for sure that it'd be easy, but if you're comfortable with tires or brakes, this shouldn't be much challenge. Let us know if you'd like a hand troubleshooting it[/QUOTE]

Old 09-24-2018, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If the indicator light is flaky, the neutral switch is where I'd start. It should be located on the crankcase right near the shift lever. It'll be #16 in this parts diagram, which I took from an online parts catalogue. A simple test will be to wiggle the wires and see if it has an effect on the indicator light. Before spending money on parts, make sure the wire is tightly attached to the switch itself. If the bike's been wrecked in it's history, you may also want to check out the wires to make sure none of the insulation has been rubbed off.

To remove the switch the wire should pull straight out, and the switch would then need to be unthreaded out of the crankcase. Most switches are checked by confirming continuity - your manual should have details on how to perform that test. Be careful when reinstalling to make sure it goes in straight and doesn't cross-thread

Here's the link to the parts catalogue. It's a handy reference. Let us know how it goes
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...1219#sch304051