New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hey, new looking for first bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey, new looking for first bike

Hey everyone I'm Greg. In the spring I will be taking the MSF course and begin to look for a bike to purchase. I keep hearing to start on a 250, but I've also been told to stay away. I love the look of the new ninja 250r, but I've heard that being 6'1 and 200lbs, the bike will be extremely uncomfortable and I will outgrow it way too fast. Also there is the sv650s, but in all honestly there is no appeal to me. So, I have heard that it may be reasonable for my to start out on an older f4i. I have several friends that all started off on 600cc bikes (r6, gsxr600) without a hitch. I have no experience except for a friends 75cc dirtbike a few years ago and putting a lot of miles on my buddies moped before I had a vehicle. Any advice to me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 01-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Banned
Default RE: Hey, new looking for first bike

Start cheap and small. Upgrade when you feel ready. Onething you may notice is the type of riding you want to do isn't best for sportbikes, only a little time on the road will tell you that. It is also better to learn on a smaller bike because you will become a better rider starting off small. Some of the other member can explain why better than me.

Also I felt the same way about the SV at first, now I like them, so as you get some experience your tastes may change. Welcome to the site.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 PM

You'll be surprised at how much confidence you gain after the MSF course. That's easily the best tool for preparing to ride. Hell, take it twice.

A lot of riders hit up the 'appeal' factor right out of the gate, buying something stupid-fast and full of expensive plastic. Sure, the SV may not light the sportbike fire, but it'll teach you how to prevent a bunch of cursing and road rash that's guaranteed to happen if you jump on an F4i first.

I know what you mean though, the best thrills are covered in fairings. There's just no way around it. You could buy older than the F4i, like an F4, F3, or even F2. A bit cheaper, still a 600cc Honda CBR sportbike, and easier to pick up (literally and skill-wise).

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 PM

I loved taking my MSF test.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 PM

thanks a lot for all the help so far! much more helpful than other places i have asked. do they have a standard bike at msf classes or does it depend one where you go? i may be able to use the bike there as a starting point in my head as to what i really need. also, am i wrong or is there an advanced msf class?

i completely understand the issue of starting small and how it makes you become a better rider. i'm not getting a bike to impress women or my friends, i just want to ride. i'm just concerned that a small bike won't be comfortable at all for me. i would have no problem getting on an 08 250r right now as long as i don't look like i'm on a kids bicycle.

there is definitely a part of me that wants a nice looking bike, and thats because right now the vehicle i'm driving is less than perfect (95 passat). i'd just like to have something nice. i could absolutely appreciate an f3 as that.

my plan is to get a bike, ride it through the summer, sell it before going to school in the fall, and upgrade the following spring (either to something like an rr or a 750). however if i go to school somewhere relatively close, i will be wanting to take the bike to school as i won't have a car there.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: djgreg

thanks a lot for all the help so far! much more helpful than other places i have asked. do they have a standard bike at msf classes or does it depend one where you go? i may be able to use the bike there as a starting point in my head as to what i really need. also, am i wrong or is there an advanced msf class?

i completely understand the issue of starting small and how it makes you become a better rider. i'm not getting a bike to impress women or my friends, i just want to ride. i'm just concerned that a small bike won't be comfortable at all for me. i would have no problem getting on an 08 250r right now as long as i don't look like i'm on a kids bicycle.

there is definitely a part of me that wants a nice looking bike, and thats because right now the vehicle i'm driving is less than perfect (95 passat). i'd just like to have something nice. i could absolutely appreciate an f3 as that.

my plan is to get a bike, ride it through the summer, sell it before going to school in the fall, and upgrade the following spring (either to something like an rr or a 750). however if i go to school somewhere relatively close, i will be wanting to take the bike to school as i won't have a car there.

You sound like you have the right attitude. You would be fine on an F4i as long as you remember to take your time, wear your gear, and ride at your level of experience. F4i, SV's, and the Ninja 500's are great bikes to start on that will leave you some leway for error without riding a complete dog. A lot of people use SV's as track bikes because they are easy to work with, reliable, and still a blast. I also hear they are more comfortable to ride than some of the super sport machines. I can appreciate comfort seeing as I ride something that can be quite un-comfortable after 3 hours.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 AM

Well I'm just stoppin by the say hi and good luck on your hunt for a bike.

Personally I would look into those Ninja 500's.
To each his own however.

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to our forums!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:47 PM

Hello & Welcome!!