CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Hello from Portland OR! Got a 92 CBR600F2 just a few weeks ago... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/hello-portland-got-92-cbr600f2-just-few-weeks-ago-102609/)

jnicola 10-27-2009 12:13 AM

Hello from Portland OR! Got a 92 CBR600F2 just a few weeks ago...

Hey everyone,

New to CBR's, and somewhat new to riding. Spent a while on a Kawasaki EX-500 prior to this bike, and while it's a fun bike I felt the power a bit lackluster, the suspension/tire combination miserable, and the look just wasn't for me.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._8265639_n.jpg

That's me in my halloween costume by the way. I'm not quite that hairy naturally, heh. Anyways that's the bike, and it's a really good condition 1992 CBR600f2.

Milage is supposedly 22k, however the speedo is broken at the front axle, so it could be ungodly high. The motor seems kosher for the most part though and it's got plenty of get up and go, so I am definitely not questioning it!

The previous owner didn't know **** about bikes, and appears timid enough about bikes to not have done anything stupid to this fine specimen of a CBR600. Basic things were wrong with it, such as the mirrors being loose and flopping everywhere. Bad sign for maintenace, but it helped me get one hell of a good price, and he was also quick to run away from some issues on the bike which I consider minimal.

Work I've had to do thus far (some minor upgrades to mention as well):

-Completely bled the brakes all the way and change the brake fluid. It looked like mud. Front pads and rear pads still have 60% life in them, so no sense changing quite yet.

-New rear sprocket and chain. Wound up getting a 520 chain, but it's this really expensive stuff that i got one hell of a deal on. Very stoked about that! New rear sprocket is unfortuantely aluminum, but it's all that I could dig up and it's price was fine. I went up two teeth on the rear for slight acceleration improvement, but nothing monumentally different.

-New rear tire, since the old one was bold and chicken stripped. Bridgestone battleaxe, feels good, and thus far these tires have treated me good.

-K+N Filter. The UNI filter in there was probably from before the 2000's. Got a heck of a deal on it since a local guy here used to track these bikes a ton, and when he cleaned his garage he found four of them. Hell yeah $15!

-Extended frame sliders (not pictured, just installed). The possibility of me going down exists, and so I did the horrible evil of drilling holes in the original factory plastics that are aboslutely perfect and unscuffed. The frame sliders fit great though, and I did an amazing job with the hole saw I have though and they fit like a glove! Hell yeah!

-I suppose I didn't do this but it came with a full micron exhaust system, which is pretttty sweet. The bike sounds amazing!

Questions for everyone out there:

So it is my experience that pretty much all vehicles all encounter the same issues within their make and model, unless you're doing something really out of the ordinary (generally: STUPID).

I've got the following issues currently, and am curious what you all would say given the tendancies of CBR600f2's. Also, what are some things I should keep an eye out for?

First question: When Istart up the engine, and sometimes for a very brief time after starting up I can hear a whir, like a chain rubbing coming from the motor. I've heard this relates to the cam chain, and given that it's based on oil pressure (right?) I can see why it only happens when starting up. Should I be concerned about this? I tracked down an Ape cam chain tensioner for a decent price and a very knowledgable person to help me install it!

Second question: With the bike in neutral and the clutch lever all the way out (released) I can feel a physical wirr from the transmission, and it almost feels somewhat grindy in a sense. I've heard this means clutch basket? What are some typical clutch issues encountered with this bike/motor?

Third question: Right around 6-7k sometimes I notice a slight whir from the engine, somewhat alike a bug zapper in sound. Am I just being hyper sensitive or what is this about?

Fourth question: the rear brakes even after being bled with proper brake fluid just feel rather lackluster. Even on wet pavement (I'm still riding and it's raining here in Oregon) I have to stomp on the rear brake to lock the tire up. Not that i need to lock the tire up, but I feel like I just can't get the brakign power I want out of it!

All that aside though I got a screaming deal on a GREAT looking bike (I love it) in pretty good condition, that doesn't appear to require that much work. I'll be swapping the oil whenever I address whatever this clutch issue is, along with the spark plugs, and the coolant just to ensure everythings been changed out that is reasonable. Just incase though, is there anything else you would advise changing out on the bike?

Thanks in advance, and glad to have found the community!

15khammers 10-27-2009 04:04 AM

Congrats on your f2! It sounds to me like you should probably take it to a shop if routine maintenance hasn't been kept up. Little problems can sneak up fast and over time they all add up to one big problem. If safety is a concern, definitely take it in. It's not worth risking your life on a bike that's not completely roadworthy.

eweppley 10-27-2009 04:28 AM

Welcome to CBRF and congrats on the F2!! She looks really nice! I've had my '92 F2 for nearly 12 years now and have had very few problems with it, and when maintained properly are nearly bombproof. I'm sure you will love yours.

Question 1: From what you describe, it does sort of sound like the CCT. Replacing the stock CCT with a manual APE one is a good place to start. Even if that is not the cause of your noise, it will need one at some point so might as well do it now. It's not hard fix and there's a how-to sticky in the F2 section.

Question 2: F2's have notoriously noisy clutch baskets. I wouldn't worry about the noise too much unless it really does sound like something is grinding in there.

Question 3: I'm not sure what this noise might be. Is it possible that it's just one of the fairings buzzing at that RPM?

Question 4: I'd check the pistons in your rear brake and make sure they are not sticking for any reason.

Good luck with the bike and enjoy the forums.