New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hello from Northern Cali

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Northern Cali

Hello everyone, my name is CJ and i recently picked up a 99 CBR 600 F4, and i love it. It's my first Honda (coming from Kawasaki) and i must say i'm very happy with the switch. I picked her up for $950 from a guy hurtin for rent money. She needs a few little things like mirrors, new license plate bracket, rear turn signals and a new ignition. Other than those things it runs excellent, very well taken care of, never laid down, and not beat to the ground. It also came with a few little aftermarket goodies like smoked windshield, smoked "flush mount" front turn signals, and some type of (im gonna assume knockoff) muffler. I only have one picture of it right now, after a good thorough cleaning ill post some more

Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum CJ!
$950 is a steal for a bike, nice find. Good luck getting it all fixed up. Don't forget to change the fluids and give it a thorough once over, including checking the age and condition of the tires.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

New ignition...was it ever stolen? My 900rr is a theft recovery that I bought from the owner after the cops returned it to him. Poor thing was in rough shape. I paid $500 for it and now it is much better. LOL.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CBRF CJ!

Yep, $950 for an F4 in decent shape is excellent! Glad to hear that it found an attentive new owner to give it the TLC it deserves. You'll really enjoy it.

I have a 2000 F4 w/ split-seat conversion. Come on over to the F4 section when you get a chance & post pics in the pic thread as well.

Good to have you w/ us.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Been browsing around the site and i must say its a great site yall have here! This is the only picture of the bike i have, and its super dirty, but dont worry there will be more to come!

Name:  image_zpse408fcfd.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  112.3 KB

Originally Posted by vfrman
New ignition...was it ever stolen? My 900rr is a theft recovery that I bought from the owner after the cops returned it to him. Poor thing was in rough shape. I paid $500 for it and now it is much better. LOL.
No sir, the original owner (who i purchased it from) lost the keys about a year ago and just popped the ignition so i wanna make sure its a little more theft proof.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Your also missing rear pegs, which means that your also missing the bracket to support the exhaust. That's a pretty important thing to be missing.
The bar ends, or at least one, is gone. Those are weights and will help with vibration.
The windshield and signals look painted...
Nice bike otherwise!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 PM

^ Agreed. Looks like you have a solid bike to work w/ otherwise. :-)

Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Your also missing rear pegs, which means that your also missing the bracket to support the exhaust. That's a pretty important thing to be missing.
The bar ends, or at least one, is gone. Those are weights and will help with vibration.
The windshield and signals look painted...
Nice bike otherwise!
I just noticed that after searching some info on the F4, in the next couple days I'm gonna fab up an exhaust bracket because i like not having the rear pegs. I think it gives the rear a much cleaner look. I didn't even know about the weights but think for pointing it out, ill pick some up in the next week or so. After further inspection i can verify the windshield is painted (i still think it looks great), but the front turn signals don't seem to be, but my eyesight hasn't always been the best. Im basing this on there are no clear defining tape lines or anything on the lens showing it was painted like the windshield has.

Thank you, I'm pretty satisfied with it for the price.

Originally Posted by gotcbr
^ Agreed. Looks like you have a solid bike to work w/ otherwise. :-)
Thank you good sir

Next up is to replace this pesky rectifier that is giving me problems!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Staypuff578
I just noticed that after searching some info on the F4, in the next couple days I'm gonna fab up an exhaust bracket because i like not having the rear pegs. I think it gives the rear a much cleaner look. I didn't even know about the weights but think for pointing it out, ill pick some up in the next week or so...
Sure, you can fab up a bracket...its def not rocket-science.

You'll def want the bar ends (weights). They help keep vibration down, like 74demon said.

Originally Posted by Staypuff578
...Next up is to replace this pesky rectifier that is giving me problems!
Take some time & look thru the F4 section. We've discussed the R/R issue m-a-n-y times. ;-) Honda revised the old flat R/R, that was prone to overheating & failure, & replaced it w/a new upgraded finned unit. That new unit superseded the old unit & is what's avail now. Its a great unit. I replaced mine a few yrs ago & its worked perfectly.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Sure, you can fab up a bracket...its def not rocket-science.

You'll def want the bar ends (weights). They help keep vibration down, like 74demon said.
Yea I'm an Aluminum fabricator by trade, primarily structural aluminum (gangways and small walkway bridges) so a little exhaust bracket shouldn't be too hard

Take some time & look thru the F4 section. We've discussed the R/R issue m-a-n-y times. ;-) Honda revised the old flat R/R, that was prone to overheating & failure, & replaced it w/a new upgraded finned unit. That new unit superseded the old unit & is what's avail now. Its a great unit. I replaced mine a few yrs ago & its worked perfectly.
Well....... I feel really stupid but after further inspection my bike is completely missing the Rectifier. It ran great when started and when i test rode it, but it isn't technically road legal so i loaded it in the truck and brought it to the shop while waiting for parts to get in to make it legal on the road. Hmmm... Man, I feel like an idiot! That would explain the nutty problems I've had that point to a rectifier problem since i got it back to the shop. Well fellars, hopefully when i slap the R/R on it will be good to go

Quick Reply: Hello from Northern Cali