New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hello, new member no bike yet

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, new member no bike yet

Hi everyone! I joined to get more information about Honda bikes. I've never rode a bike before but I'd like to buy one withing the next 8-12 months. I'm a big fan of Honda vehicles; I own a 94 del Sol modded, a 95 Civic Sedan modded and an 08 Element SC, as well as a Troy Built push mower with Honda OHV engine. So naturally I want to get a Honda bike. My friend had an F4i that I really liked. I've sat on a few bikes recently to get a feel for the ergonomics of the different bikes: R6/R1, ZX6, ZX12 (too big) and of course the latest 600RR & 1000RR.

I've talked with quite a fewriders and have gotten advice thatspreads all across the board.I've been told to geta small used/new bike to start off all the way to get the biggest bike I can afford. I'm27,married and with a kid. I'mconfident in myself that I'mmuch more responsiblenow than say 3 years ago and Ifully respect speed and its dangers, soI'm leaning towards gettinga larger bike. I'm in the military, so it's mandatory that I attend the MSF beginner's course and it's free for us since it's mandatory.

I've been looking around a bit at the local usedbike market, specifically more at the 900RR since it's O.G. and they seem much more rare than the newer ones and because I kinda like more fairings unlike the latest bikes.

Anyway, I found two 900's and wanted to get some opinions and suggestions on what to look out for. The first is a 93, White/Red/Blue. It's about 5 minutes from my house at a shop that sells used bikes as well as new United Motors (Hyosung) bikes and also does maintenance. The owner said that he bought it from a lawyer that had multiple bikes and that he just needed the room/cash so he sold it. Supposedly it was used for lap/track days or actual racing. It has 2700 on the odometer. There are quite a few mods on it: Corbin seats, Carbon Fiber front fender and rear hugger, aftermarket rear suspension, Ohlins steering damper, Carbon Fiber muffler (forgot brand), aftermarket header, some blue CBR grips and a Firblade tank protector. Those are all the mods that are obvious. The shop owner says that the engine is modded as well, that it has a racing clutch (verified the hard pull action) and that it has a stroker crank. He also pointed out that it has "a set of $2000 racing carbs from sudco ken" and pointed out the large open air filters that are under the tank. He says he wants $6500 for it and that he picked it up with quite a bit of some spare/original parts that comes with the purchase as well.
These are my questions:
1. Do you guys think this is a good deal?
2. Can the odometer be changed out/rolled back easily on these bikes?
3. How can I tell if they are really Sudco carbs and how much do these run for on the current market?

The other is also a 93, in the white/black/red scheme and they want $4100 for it. This one is also sold at a motorcycle shop and says "This is likely the nicest Early model CBR-900-RR you are going to find. Has some miles on it but has been well cared for." I went to their website and it has 56,943 miles on it!!!! [sm=insomnia.gif]For a 15 year old bike that's about 3700 miles a year average, so all things considering, it's really not that bad. Here's a picture of the second bike: http://images.traderonline.com//img/...mb_550x410.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Oh and hello again everyone!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Default RE: Hello, new member no bike yet

honestly i would be a little skeptical of both of those bikes, #1 because of all the mods sounds like it could be an abused race bike, and #2 solely because of the mileage.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 PM

personally, i think you can actually get a newer bike for the same amount of money.. i got my 96 cbr600f3 with 25k miles on it for $1600. i would definitely reconsider your options..

Old 06-28-2008, 12:37 PM

+1. I would aim at getting a newer bike. I owned a 900RR, and it's a good bike (minus the regulator/rectifier problem), but that kind of money could get you a newer 600.

Keep in mind, the newer 600's have as much, if not more, HP than the old 900RR and it weighs less. Just don't get stuck in the "I need an open class sized bike" mindset.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the responses folks. I did some more looking around and have decided against either of these bikes. I think one of the problems is that I'm in Oklahoma and sport bikes aren't as popular as cruisers. I think I'm just going to wait around and see if I can pick up a better 900 for around 3000, if not maybe a 600rr.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:10 AM

Man, just found a possible contender, however still need about 1200 to save up so I can get all the gear first per the wife (leather jacket, textile/leather pants, gp boots, glove and of course helmet). It's about 13 hour drive.

teaser pic:

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...C-900-93042234

Old 07-02-2008, 02:32 AM

900'S ARE sexy