New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

HELLO NEW HERE WHICH BIKE

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELLO NEW HERE WHICH BIKE

49 and currently ride a 1200 sportster for the last 4 months.
Rode dirt bikes as a teenager. Rode a GSXR 1000 last weekend and kept the rpms below 5k. The suzuki was so tame. I could tell the 1000 was starting to come alive around 5k and my harley would be maxed out ha!
I am looking at a CBR600rr or CBR1000 or ZX-14. I don't want to go say over 150 but, I do love to go quick from 0-80. Looking for a bike to pull my arms out at any speed but, not over 100mph. The bigger bikes having more torque seem like they would be a blast 0-80 or 100, compared to the 600? I have seen 600 really get it and they can. I just have not rode both and dealers are reluctant to let you try all their bikes in this part of the country.
Anyone rode both and can tell me if you can fell the difference of torque between the 600 and say 1000? I know the bigger bike has the greater topend. I am interested in that rush of acceleration from 0 to say 80 or 100. I was thinking of getting the bigger bike and save me the time and expense of having to go from smaller to larger later. This would be my first sport bike and just wanted if this makes since to anyone else? It takes sometime to get use to another bike. I don't use the harley to ride the hour and 15 min to work due to my already work long hours. I mostly ride around town on the freeway and once in a while ride it to work. Some winding roads too.

Thanks

[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Default RE: HELLO NEW HERE WHICH BIKE

I own a '07 CBR600rr and ride it daily. Twisties, 1/8mile Track, Highway, Around town. 1st gear does 72mph, 2nd 102mph(indicated), 3rd 126-7mph(indicated), 4th I haven't topped out. If properly launched I've seen the bike do 7.3x at 104 mph in the 1/8 with no mods.

You said you road the Gixxer 1000 and did not take it over 5k. .. If you have the bike available to you again .. hop back on it and give it a good crank.

The reason why I like riding the 600rr so much is, even under WOT(wide open throttle) in 1st gear up toRedline,only occasionally will the front tire pull slowly off the ground. The 600rr is pretty peppy around 3.5k - 5k ..but kindadrops off and thenpulls very hardat7.5k up through Redline safely i.m.o.

Though wanting that same feeling you're looking for, I've decided that I needed a little more torque off the line through my first 3 gears .. so I decided to go with a slip-on and +2 rear sprocket. Tomorrow they are being installed so if the weather holds up I will let you know what I think.

I'm comparing this to a '06 Kawi 636 with PowerCommander, Araka Slip-on, BMC Airfilter. When I road that, the bike's front tire in 1st gear just pulled slowly up off the ground everytime and pulled Extremely Harrrd. It was nice... lol.

I've raced Liter bikes b4 and they just pull like you wouldn't imagine .. a raped ape, its sick. If you're looking forthat "pull" factor the liter bikes have it.

How comfortable do you feel withyour riding abilities?

There IS a noticeable difference in acceleration between the600 and 1000bikes.

The 1000's are a loot of bike. If the fact you are riding a sports bike doesn't bother you and you're aware of the differences between the sportster and sports bike and can handle them......then go with the 1K. If not, go with the 600 and learn on that.. you'll still be happy and alive.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

welcome to the forum! i would also suggest that you might like the 00-01 honda cbr 929RR or the 02-03 honda cbr 954RR. both have that stunning midrange power/torque yet very flickable like a 600. and you can find both of these bikes in the used market for good prices !

Old 10-06-2007, 01:33 AM

ORIGINAL: majorcbr
Anyone rode both and can tell me if you can fell the difference of torque between the 600 and say 1000?

[align=left] [/align]
Welcome to the site Major...

The torque difference is like night and day. I know that sounds a little over-simplified but that's really how it is.
Even though you have to shift the 600 more it's still a blast to ride and gets to 80 in no time.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:45 AM

My first bike was a 600. I had it for a year and by the end of the year normal acceleration for me was running around 10000 rpm in between shifting, she will take of in a hurry. Like noted before you can open the throttle all the way in first and if the front comes up its not much.

Then I traded up for the 1k. The difference is huge. You can't really redline shift for the first few gears because the front end comes up easy. On the1k, in first gear full throttle the front comes up around 7000 rpm and by then you already going 50-60 mph.

The 600 was fun because you could take off and run through the gears with out going too fast. The 1k you can really move but if you run through the gears you will be movin (over 100mph easily).

Old 10-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Banned

My F4i is a 600 and I've ridden my buddies 1000RR alot, Without a doubt the power on the 1000 is incredible. If you have the right places to ride and the skills to handle it then that is your choice. I felt it was overkill for me for where I ride and my riding style. Let us know.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:17 AM

I had an 03 600 and just upgraded in April to a 06 1000...and the difference is noticable.The front end willcome up at 7 grand in first and as mentioned above you dont even notice your doing 100 .

Id say if you were on a Sportie 1200 the 600 might get boring in the beginning but the 1000 will keep you smiling all the way thru....the HESD is a dream.I found a 3 mile stretch and the bars were silky smooth at 155...so make the call and welcome aboard....

In California traffic that runs 65-85 down the 91.Its always nice to downshift and get 100.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:06 AM

I thank you for he advice. SO if I wanted to most torque and yank my arms out he most I will get a ZX-14 instead of a 1000RR.
Any one here tell me why buy a 1000RR over the zx-14 since zx-14 has the most torque?
zx-14 weights more but would the weight make a difference?
I do like hondas and do believe its the best bike I just want somebody with experience with both the ninja and honda.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

^ looks, handling, weight all are better reasons to buy the 1krr over the zx-14 .. zx-14 is good on the drag strips and to drop and stretch em but if you want a better all around package get a 1krr

Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

The ZX-14 is a High speed touring missile, sucks up straight lines fast and can handle sweepers. Kinda like comparing a Big AMG benz to a Porsche. Both ate very quick in a straight line, but the AMG is nice for 500 miles and the Porsche is good for 200 before you want to stretch. But the porsche is nimble and can easily turn, the AMG is a big heavy pig that can turn, it just doesn't want to because of weight and size.

Edit
Different tool for a different job. If you don't want to drag a knee or want an easy around town bike get the ZX. But turns and around town a sportbike (600 or 1000)works great because they are small and light. It is overkill to ride a 1000rr like a scooter, but you can, a ZX is just BIG.

But if you are used to a Harley, now don't get offended, a big heavyZX may work for you, a 1000rr may feel like a toy. I sit on Harleys and I wonder why they are so f**king big and slow? Why are they noisy and don't go anywhere, why do they need to shake? All this would make sense if they were fast, but I don't get it. Why are the controls on a Harly in such dumb places? Why does everything feel like it came off oftractor? I like the looks, but I don't get the rest of it.

My guess is a 1000RR wouldn't work for you and a 600 is out of the question. A ZX or a busa would also be more comfy ergo wise too.