New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hello from New CBR owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from New CBR owner

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I bought myself a '97 CBR600 F3 Smokin' Joe Edition with 19000kms
From what I've been told, it's engine has been heavily modified to push out 150+Hp at the rear wheel. That remains to be proven, I'll dyno it in the spring.
All I can say is that it ridiculously fast. I have no idea how these bikes came stock but nearly every small to medium sized part is chrome. Is that normal?
I'm pretty happy with except for S*#!kicked fairing. Only one part need replacing (upper left side fairing) everything else is saveable.
Now here's a loaded question: Is the "smokin' Joe Edition" some big deal, is it rare? Is it just colour and stickers or is there a performance upgrade? Would it be sacriligous to deSticker it? I'm thinking of streetfighter-ing it. Convert to handlebars etc. (I'm in my early 40's...I don't know what I'm in for . )
Any thoughts?

Cheers
G

Old 01-29-2012, 02:11 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

well, on to smokin joes, its your bike and you will do whatever you want to it. the bikes itself are limited edition and they do grow lower in numbers because people do change them into fighters and other things or even parting out. ive bought mine and now looking into another bike so i can store it since ive already put too many miles on her. im not positive on preformance on the smoking joes but i was told that the stock f3's have trouble keeping up with the newer bikes and not smoking joes.

if you look at the vin number (i believe the 8 and 9th digit) should be 53 for smoking joes and 50 for stock f3 also the lower left corner should say 600se stock is just 600f3.

you should come and join our f3 group and the smoking joes group at the Quick links > Social groups.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard CBR327!

Congrats on getting your F3.

I seriously doubt 150hp. That would be a 50% increase in HP for that bike. It would have to be "heavily modified" alright. Show a copy of that dyno when you get it & then I'll believe you. ;-)

Nevertheless, sounds like you got a good bike. I say make it your own.

Good to have you w/ us.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Registered Users

Hey thanks for the welcome guys,
I took off some of the fairing this evening. The headlight suround need replacing too. Crap!
I decided I'm going to replace the busted fairing and repaint the whole thing in black, gunmetal gray and silver and paint in the smokin' joe graphics with a ghosted effect.
My VIN shows 52 not 53 or 50....canadian version maybe? I dunno.
Yeah as far as claiming it has 150hp, I'm doubting it too. I'm hoping it's atleast 130 to 140 at the rear wheel. I paid a bit more for that performance. I'd be pissed if it was 110. Lol. We'll see and yes I'll post the dyno results for sure.

Cheers
G

Old 02-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Registered Users
Default Hi Guys....New pic

Hi Guys,

I'm still fartin' around trying to decide what I'm going to do with the fairing on this bike. The tail section is so ill fitting. Not knowing these bikes, I was looking on a microfiche site and found the the previous owner had installed the taillights UPSIDE DOWN..Well it fits better but it's still not right.
Were the tailsections different from 95-96 to the 97-98's. There's a homemade bracket holding the taillight assembly on. This is a rebuilt bike, so I'm thinking something must not be right.

I just added a pic in the photo gallery. This is it's good side

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners - CBR327's Album: G's CBR600 F3 - Picture

Cheers
G