New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hello, I'm the new guy and i need help

Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, I'm the new guy and i need help

Hello everyone,
I'm Sean, I bought a used 1999 CBR 600F4 about a month ago. have been riding every day since. went out today on some new roads and a pavement snipe jumped up and bit me. laid the bike down and promptly went off the road and down a 75degree slope. i scraped my bike up good, mechanics seem fine, but now i am replacing parts. if you could point me to the right thread or answer my question it would help greatly. the tail fairing/cowling (not sure what to call it) that surrounds the brake light, is thoroughly destroyed. been looking online and i come to find there is a Type 1 or 2. Part #77010-MBW-306ZA or B respectively. i do not understand, i have the banana seat and do not wish to do the conversion now, just replace the part. please and thank you... its been a bad week

Old 09-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Welcome to the forums!

Are you asking what exact part you need?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF, Sean! I'm terribly sorry to hear about the off you had. We're all glad that you're okay. As far as a replacement fairing, just search on ebay and buy a used one off of there. It won't cost near as much as a new OEM one from an online fiche. You'll be able to find one in your color scheme.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 AM

A: what one would call the plastic body part around the brake light. some have called it a cowl, some have said tail fairing. i'm trying to get the wordage right to find the part.
B: When i do find this plastic part for the tail, there is a Type 1 and a Type 2. i do not understand if this variation is a signifigent difference. such as a single or dual seat for example. or maybe color?

C: that i just thought up, I might just get a whole set of new body parts and paint them myself. is there any specific paint needed to paint on these plastic parts?

Old 09-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

They're the same thing. Some people call it cowl (that's more of a euro thing though) and some people call it tail fairing. I call it a tail fairing. I think probably most call it a tail fairing. But a lot of fiches call it a "cowl". If you talk to anyone, most of them are going to know what you're talking about whether you say rear cowl or tail fairing.

I saw the type 1 and type 2. It's probably a difference between years or even models. Honda may have added a tab or something for one year or taken one away - something like that. It could be even a difference for something between countries ( a US one and a Euro one).

When I look up 954 parts, I usually get differences just like that too - and they're parts that are for a 929 and then the other type is for the 954. Just call and ask. You won't be the first person to have called and asked considering the F4 was a 2 year model with the same tail fairing (seemingly). Just call and ask.

But I'd wait it out and watch for a nice OEM to pop up on ebay. Just start checking it often. One will pop up. And when you get for $100 - you'll have saved over $200. It pays to be patient.

Painting it yourself is an option. You just need to find a filler, primer, and paint that's suitable for automotive. It needs to be good for ABS (the kind of plastic the fairings are), and mild steel (what the tank is made out of of).

Old 09-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For some reason I thought the "Types" designate the color and decal combo.. I might very well be wrong though.

As said.. ebay might be your best bet.. get a 99-00 F4 rear cowl or you can move to the 04-06 F4i rear cowl and pick up the F4i's rear grab bar (or just cover it with some tape or flat plastic). I personally like the grab handle and your F4 has the mounts built in to the subframe already..

Old 09-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Sean,

+1 for Ebay - watch with vigilance and you will be rewarded. Then there are local wreckers.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 PM

Thanks guys. I started looking on ebay and i am already leaning towards just spending the 250$ on a full kit. I have always like the team repsol look, i am a sucker for what i like, so i will probabaly buy that in the next few days.

Next big question, i'm about to buy replacement parts for my left peg and shifter. Any suggestion on where i should go? I'm looking at HondaPartsHouse.com seems like i could find lower but they seem to have everything i need and know how to present it.

Another piece to that, i don't seem to be able to find how the shifter arm connects to the peg mount. can onyone explain this. the autocad diagram shows all the parts but it does not seem to should any bolt that would connect the shifter arm to the pedal mount. it shows the spacers that are needed, but no bolt....?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM

Welcome to CBRF... Sorry to hear about the off... perfect time to do the conversion mod if your spending money anyways... just saying... Good luck either way...

Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome sorry to here of your spill

Search this Thread