New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hail, Sir or Madam.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hail, Sir or Madam.

So first post, woo, new to forum and first time rider, woo, just bought an F3 that looks a bit like this:

Apologies, big picture.

Anyway, got this for a bit of a steal, around $1000 cheaper than it booked for - given it was a crash recovery I guess that's no surprise. Wouldn't say its in great condition, but mechanically sound (strangely, for a salvage bike)

I'd like to pick some of your brains for info on it though. I've done some work to it already, replaced a clutch lever and repacked the exhaust, previous owner liked to be deaf so he put copper wire in there in place of the original packing. It needs a start stop switch, a tach, and some other things.

What I've come to bother the collective you about is being unfamiliar with bikes - it has a -1/+1 sprocket set on it, any way to get numbers on the original stuff so I can find out how much underdrive that is, and maybe what ratio that offsets my speedo?

Also, anyone know where I can find a smoked integrated tailight for the '97 model? They've cut the fender off this bike and I want my turn signals back. All I can find is a clear LED model, rather have a smoked one to kind of match how the bike looks now.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to the forum, congrats on the new bike. as far as speedo error goes, i'd take it on the freeway and check the odometer against the mile markers, or use a gps to compare against the speedo. the factory can have a bit of error in it to begin with.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Hello and Welcome to the CBR Forum!!! The plastic looks good and sound and the seat no well worn. If you say the engine is running good then you good a great deal. Also you may want to post the questions in the F3 section, or search the section for your answers.

Need to look for a MSF and some new color grips in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Lol, my final gear reduction is pi now, apparently. 44/14, around 10% underdrive looks like.

MSF very yes, but since I bought it so late in the year, I have to wait 'till April.

The plastic is actually quite scratched up, that's just the good side showing there:

Little easier to see in that one. Custom plate bracket, too. Intended on buying new plastics, but may try just repainting the existing, despite the fact they don't line up properly. Lots of work over the winter.

Actually thought about grips, my gloves stick to them a bit sometimes, which has already been a problem when you want off the throttle and well, you can't. Thankfully I was just pulling out of the mall on a not particularly busy day.

What part of Indiana? I'm in Evansville.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Looks like its in pretty good shape overall to me. Nice color.

yeah +1 on the MSF obviously. You'll learn a lot there. And its fun.

Anyways welcome aboard!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the "happy farm"
Workshop manual at
www.stephygee.com
Enjoy what we have to offer.
F3 section is very active, too.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM

Yeh, love the color, orange is my favorite. The blue works strangely well with it, too, and its got a blue LED kit in it that I've barely gotten to play with given I can't ride at night.

Already found out some ....good to know...things about it. Got about 2 months to ride it before I had to put it away, and after getting comfortable with it I was shooting up onramps and such, where I had room and all. Found out if I'm not far enough forward on the bike, it'll lift the front tire in second gear without popping the clutch "OH SHI-" not expecting that much. Actually, I should bug the F3 category about that. Just doesn't seem like a close to stock 600 should be able to do that without provocation.

Tbh, She scares the crap out of me, but I still love her. Kind of like having a girlfriend with a mild psychotic disorder and a bizarre fascination with sharp objects.