New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Greetings from Finland

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from Finland

Greetings, fellow CBR owners. My name is Eero and I live in southern Finland. I'm a fairly new biker - I got a bike-fever at summer 2009, drove a riding license and at the same day (at the early September) I got my license I bought my first bike - CBR 600F2 1992. It was the second bike I test-drove, but it felt straightly right to my hand, as I'm sure you know what I mean. I drove ~1000 miles last autumn and I'm furiously waiting for the new season to begin (there's still 5cm of snow in my front yard).

I started doing spring-service on Wednesday and as I'm not 100% sure of the service history of the bike, I'm doing it the long way. As it is my first bike, I started wondering how to change the fork oils, started surfing around the web and found a forum that seems helpful and even service manuals for my bike, so I decided to register and here I am.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/album.php...pictureid=8008

Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum !
Enjoy what we have to offer.
Look in the F2 section for guys with technical skills and other stuff.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey there Eero and welcome to CBRF!! :-)

I love those colours and you have the same exact F2 as eweppley who will be along
shortly ... how could he miss this one ..lol

Anyway if you fancy a read there is an F2 review here...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/cbr600f2-super-review-cbr-comes-age-96801/

Take care and enjoy the forums!! :-)

Jules

Old 03-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Banned

Wow, what an awsome bike you have Eero!! It's nice to see someone else unafraid to rock a bike with a bit pink on it. She looks in mint condition too. Congrats on the great find! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've had mine for 12 years now and it still puts a huge grin on my face when I twist that throttle.

Keep the shiny side up and enjoy what we have to offer!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Riding Season

Welcome Eero, sounds like you have picked the perfect bike. Season is
just about to get in gear here too. Well enjoy the bike, the forum & have
great riding season in Finland man. Post a few PIC's it's always interesting
to see CBR's from around the globe !

Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Jules, thanks for the review link, it was fun to read and gave some technical data I've still missed (eg. size of the fuel tank).

Eweppley, I'm not afraid of riding partially pink bike. I think I could ride even a hello kitty -bike, if I just had pink outfit (my black outfit with silver helmet just wouldn't fit). After all, I aimed for a good-condition and well rideable bike instead of searching the best looking bike (I did test-drive a ZZR first, but I couldn't even think how I'd get a good driving position with it). Although I am facing a slight problem with the coloring - one of the front panels (the one that the right-side mirror attaches) is a bit cracked (I'll fix it up with fiberglass from the inside) and I'm not sure how the paints will stick. If they won't, I'll need to paint at least that panel and the original colorful painting is not easy to achieve. She's also fallen at least once in the history, the scratches are visible in the engine part that's visible on the left side of the bike. Otherwise she's clearly taken care of and driven ~31500 miles, so I believe we'll have a long journey still ahead.

I'll continue servicing the bike today, first by changing the fork oils and brake liquids, then I'll find and change the air filter and fuel filter (if there is one?) and wash her. I intend to ride her gracefully and carefully and indeed to keep her in shape (and possibly replace the mile meter with a km-meter, since it's easier to read). And yes, more pics will come, as time passes.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I could ride even a hello kitty -bike, if I just had pink outfit
Haha!! I like this guy!

Welcome to the CBRF, man! Looks like you've got a real clean example of a great bike. Good to have you here!
I hear ya on the cold weather crap. We were just coming out of the snow/freezing cold last week (I thought), and now it's cold again and they're calling for freezing rain today....
So I got almost 2weeks of good riding in and then this.... the gods are teasing me!!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 AM

kilgoretrout, don't get me wrong, I actually love winter and having it cold is awesome (have you ever tried to run outside to -20°C from +80°C sauna?), but as the winter is now practically over and there's just wet snow around it's a bit nasty. The roads are also getting dry and that's tuning my mind to wait for the season opening.

My CBR's winter-standing time is ending 1.4. (if I won't call to the insurance company to make it longer, but I actually wouldn't want to do that ), so it's pretty much the right time for servicing the bike and my yard (next on my todo-list is to remove more of the wet snow).

I took some new pictures (and one video - I didn't want to rev it high though, since the engine is still cold, just wanted to make sure that the fluids run ok) and threw them to the internet:
http://aero.1g.fi/kuvat/CBR/

The cracked panel can be seen here:
http://aero.1g.fi/kuvat/CBR/_dsc6762.jpg
http://aero.1g.fi/kuvat/CBR/_dsc6769.jpg

I fixed it with fiberglass from the inside and it's drying now - I'll check the status tomorrow, if I'd be able to put the panels back on.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I would like the winter a little more if I had a sauna?? Maybe a hot tub? LOL...
As it stands, I can do without winter. I used to like it ok, but it seems every year I like it less. Maybe I just hate shoveling snow.....
However, when August rolls around and I'm overheating, maybe I'll change my tune. I'm like that....

Bike looks like it runs well. Doesn't seem to be surging or making excessive noise or anything.
Broken tabs are a pretty common problem with plastics (dropped or not) especially after they get some age to them. I hope your glass job does the trick!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

Welcome to the F2 Community. looks as though you have found yourself a wonderful specimen. i know exactly what you mean about the initial fit/feel of the bike. im on my second f2 and love them. also nice to see people doin their own wrenchin. stop by the F2 section for any info or questions you have.

Stay safe.

-Fearless-

Quick Reply: Greetings from Finland