New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Greetings

Old 09-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Greetings

I ride a 1990 CBR1000F I bought new October 4, 1990. Miles have been 95% sport-touring. The 1000 Hurricane section has grown a lot since the last time I visited (says 10-22-09 in the upper right hand corner.) I hope to contribute to as well as benefit from the information on thei forum.

Greg

Name:  onf1.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  261.2 KB

Old 09-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Greg,

Don't wait so long until your second post! Glad to see you did post and put up a photo of your bike.

So where do you hail from?

Cheers, SB

Old 09-21-2013, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome, SB. I'm in southwestern Idaho. I'd edit my profile, but it looks like I don't have permissions for it.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

All new members have moderated accounts to begin with Greg - so it'll take a few posts to get you to member status. This is to make sure you're not a spammer.

We all had to go through it - and it's not too onerous. So contribute to a few threads, and it'll happen.

Tell us a little about your bike. We have a member down here in Oz (Naga_Thai) who also is a "from new" (1989 I think) CBR1000F owner.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that cbr looks nice! I love the old red white and blues. Killer Givis too, I've always wanted those.

How many miles have you got on her?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:11 PM

No sweat, I know a lot of forums work that way, so I'll get some posts in.

The bike has 67,000 miles on it now. Not a lot for a 23 year old machine, but I have had a lot of bikes over the years to spread the miles on. I am down to three at the moment, and it says something about the regard I have for the CBR that it is one of the three. Even by today's standards it shows up well. I just returned from a 2000 mile ride over 4 days on it, and it performed as well as ever.

As I mentioned, most of the miles on it have been touring, long distance rides and day or weekend rides. The only thing I've had to do to it besides routine maintenance is replace the CCT at 32,000 miles. The cam chain is rattling again after this week's ride. It had been getting noisy again when the engine is cold, but would quiet down after a minute or so, common story with these bikes. I got caught in a 4 hour traffic jam last night with miles of stop and go before I could safely pull off the road and now it rattles continuously. So another tensioner is called for, and that is what prompted a return to the forum to see what is new. I see there is a lot more material on the old 1000F's than last time I was here, so as I said, I'll be around more. Thanks again for the welcome.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by thedrewski86
Man that cbr looks nice! I love the old red white and blues. Killer Givis too, I've always wanted those.

How many miles have you got on her?
Thanks, it still cleans up well. Honda used quality paint on these. Even with 10's of thousands of miles with a tank bag sitting on it, the tank looks basically new. The Givis work great, the only negative is they are a little heavy, but that also means they are sturdy. And they have never leaked.

67,000 miles on it now.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ofreen
No sweat, I know a lot of forums work that way, so I'll get some posts in.

The bike has 67,000 miles on it now. Not a lot for a 23 year old machine, but I have had a lot of bikes over the years to spread the miles on. I am down to three at the moment, and it says something about the regard I have for the CBR that it is one of the three. Even by today's standards it shows up well. I just returned from a 2000 mile ride over 4 days on it, and it performed as well as ever.

As I mentioned, most of the miles on it have been touring, long distance rides and day or weekend rides. The only thing I've had to do to it besides routine maintenance is replace the CCT at 32,000 miles. The cam chain is rattling again after this week's ride. It had been getting noisy again when the engine is cold, but would quiet down after a minute or so, common story with these bikes. I got caught in a 4 hour traffic jam last night with miles of stop and go before I could safely pull off the road and now it rattles continuously. So another tensioner is called for, and that is what prompted a return to the forum to see what is new. I see there is a lot more material on the old 1000F's than last time I was here, so as I said, I'll be around more. Thanks again for the welcome.

My bike 'diet' doesn't seem to be working, my tally is well above that at the moment!

As for the CCTs, we have a clever young member Henry, who had developed a mod to stop the CCT rattle. He's still beta testing it on his bike in the UK. We just need to apply a little pressure to get him to produce a (few dozen) of these!

If you haven't already - look at Naga's brilliant 'How To'

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-8...a-thai-143024/

Cheers, SB

Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM

I've looked at both of those threads, very impressive. I am glad to see there is a lot of interest and support for these bikes.

I think I was up to 10 running bikes at one time. But they take up a lot of room, before I got into the AGM batteries it was a chore keeping them all charged, they always seemed to need tires at the same time, not to mention routine maintenance on them. Then there is insurance, registration fees, and on and on. It was as if they owned me, not the other way around. I still miss some of them, especially a certain GSX-R.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to have you back... I love those older CBR1000's... Perfect sports/touring bike...

Search this Thread