New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

first time bike owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time bike owner

hey guys and gals,

the names scotty, i just got my first street bike, though i am not new to forums. i am also a subaru enthusiast, and a member of IWSTI, and NASIOC. anyway, my best friend gifted me his old bike, a 1998 CBR 600 F3, its the smokin' joe special edition. it wasn't running when i got it, but i fixed the fuel and cooling issues it was having, and it seems to be running smooth now. next on the list is cosmetic stuff, its a little beat, and really needs a couple of the fairings replaced. ill' take pics soon to show you guys.

no pics of the bike yet. but if anybody is interested, heres my car. 2002 WRX sportwagon. modified to 290WHP on 92oct pump gas, with a race tuned coilover setup. sooooo much fun on the track! its my turboed grocery getter!

Name:  lowsubie.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  40.3 KB

Old 09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey Scotty, welcome to CBRF!! :-)

The F3 is a good bike and you will find lots of help with it here ...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/

Also I wrote a review on this bike here...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/stickies-91/cbr600f3-super-review-best-steel-frames-96869/

Stay safe and enjoy the forums!! :-)

Jules

Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM

thanks! been riding motocross since i was 6 yrs old. but i definetly need to get comfortable on the road. seems to be a whole different story.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Scotty,

Welcome to the F3 crew! I don't suppose your friend has any other sweet toys laying around and needs a new buddy, does he??

I dig the grocery getter. Talk about getting the popsicles home before they melt. Make sure to check out the F3 forum. Complete group of great guys and gals ready to help with anything. Ride Safe

Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by scottydoes
thanks! been riding motocross since i was 6 yrs old. but i definetly need to get comfortable on the road. seems to be a whole different story.

Since you have experience, this may not apply very much, but just in case any beginners find this thread, I'll throw this out there.

Do NOT get in a hurry. Repetition is the key. And a lot of short rides, and I mean really short will speed up your learning curve. You can ride all day in a straight line and not learn a thing. Getting on and off, starting and stopping, parking and tight turns will get you where you need to be.

Remember when you learned to drive a car. You tried to look at and think about everything, so you couldn't differentiate what was important and what wasn't. Your brain learns skills, by becoming familiar with the process and learning what is SAFE to IGNORE. That takes a while.

Take several short rides a day. 10 minutes is enough. Do something else for a little while and go out again. This will really spead up the process.

This is my own patented approach. I've had to relearn how to ride about 4 times in my life.

At first the fear is fun, but it only gets really relaxing and enjoyable after you are comfortable.

Then you have to be wary of becoming too bold as a result of you new found comfort level and trying something you have no idea whether you can pull off.

Good luck. And luck is definetly involved for a while. I almost killed myself in the first 4 minutes of riding when I was 16. I just took off and kept shifting and took a turn wide and pulled right into oncoming traffic.