CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   First Bike, New to Riding, and New to the Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/first-bike-new-riding-new-forum-55128/)

AlmosN8kd 12-01-2007 06:02 AM

First Bike, New to Riding, and New to the Forum

Hey, just wanted to take some time to introduce myself as I am new to the forum. In addition, as the title states, I'm also new to riding and I recently purchased a used 2007 CBR600RR as my first bike. I've always loved bikes but never made the move to get one until recently. Anyhow, I've built and raced cars since 91 and now I finally decided to get a bike; all in all, there's not much to see as it is basically stock and I don't really have plans to build it. I mostly wanted it for something fun to get around in as well as save on gas (as my daily driver is a Z28).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...lEbayPhoto.jpg

Munson 12-01-2007 07:47 AM

RE: First Bike, New to Riding, and New to the Forum

Welcome! That's a beautiful, and very fast, bike you got there, so be careful. If you use the forum's search feature, you'll find a lot of good information on riding technique, safety, and maintenance.

jaynd 12-01-2007 08:57 AM

great looking bike! you say you wont do anything to the bike NOOOOOOW, lol. give it time, you'll get absolutely addicted to that bike and start tinkering w/ it!

make sure you gear up, and ride safe.

thirdgenlxi 12-01-2007 09:01 AM

Welcome!!!:D

Congrats on the sweeeeet new bike.... it looks great!! You're gonna love it! Gear up, ride safe, and have a blast! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Have you taken the MSF course?

fishfryer527 12-01-2007 09:34 AM

Look into sliders and also read this thread over and over:

https://cbrforum.com/m_74369/tm.htm

It is a thread with members newbie mistakes, hopefully you can learn from our mistakes and not your own. Good luck with your bike, it is able to do things that you won't for a very long time. Be safe.

RawRR 12-01-2007 01:01 PM

600rr as a first bike? wow gutsy. be careful. i know a lot of people that think theyre a better starting rider than other ppl, but theyre not. even dropping it in the garage can damage it enough to piss you off.

awesome bike though. ride safe and take the msf course.

AlmosN8kd 12-01-2007 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Munson

Welcome! That's a beautiful, and very fast, bike you got there, so be careful. If you use the forum's search feature, you'll find a lot of good information on riding technique, safety, and maintenance.

Thanks for the compliments and I have been being careful as best as I can. I've started getting comfortable a little so I've been giving it a little more throttle but I'm still not breaking any speed records and I'm really not trying to.

ORIGINAL: jaynd

great looking bike! you say you wont do anything to the bike NOOOOOOW, lol. give it time, you'll get absolutely addicted to that bike and start tinkering w/ it!

make sure you gear up, and ride safe.

Quite honestly, I don't plan to mod the bike; I've considered lowering it because the seat hight is about an inch or two higher than my inseam but I haven't done it and I'm getting used to the seat height. I have a pretty decent car I built from the bottom up and I use that for doing crazy stuff in. The bike is mostly for fun commuting and saving money on gas. Besides, if I wanted a truely crazy fast bike I'd probably look at moving to a 1000RR in about 3 years but the 600 is plenty for now. As for riding gear, I'm still looking at what to get; I've become somewhat partial to the Joe Rocket Honda CBR jackets but finding them for a good deal has been difficult

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Welcome!!!:D

Congrats on the sweeeeet new bike.... it looks great!! You're gonna love it! Gear up, ride safe, and have a blast! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Have you taken the MSF course?

Yes, I completed the course a few weeks back and then I started riding almost daily (depending on the weather mostly). I learned a lot more at the course then I truely thought I would so I'm very glad I took it. However, I can tell there is still a lot for me to learn when it comes to riding.

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Look into sliders and also read this thread over and over:

https://cbrforum.com/m_74369/tm.htm

It is a thread with members newbie mistakes, hopefully you can learn from our mistakes and not your own. Good luck with your bike, it is able to do things that you won't for a very long time. Be safe.

The guy I bought the bike from had already put some Shogun frame and swing arm sliders on it so I'm good to go there and I'm glad to have them. And thanks for the link, I'll take a look through there and see what I can learn.

ORIGINAL: RawRR

600rr as a first bike? wow gutsy. be careful. i know a lot of people that think theyre a better starting rider than other ppl, but theyre not. even dropping it in the garage can damage it enough to piss you off.

awesome bike though. ride safe and take the msf course.

I was really actually wanting to get a Buell and fell partial to the Firebolt, however, the smallest I found them available in was over 900cc which is obvioulsy too much for a beginner. The Blast (500cc) I felt wouldn't give me the feel I wanted so I decided to look at other bikes and came across the deal on the Honda so I jumped at it. Don't get me wrong, I love Honda bikes, have for years but the smallest sport bike I could get from them is a 600 so I went for it. And, now that I have the Honda, I don't think I'm going to want to ever get rid of it even when I am ready for that larger displacement bike. As for dropping it, I'll admit I have already done it just trying to get used to the weight moving it around but in all reality I somewhat expected it as I am a learning rider. Fortunately, the frame sliders took most of the damage but there are still a few things that I

AlmosN8kd 12-01-2007 05:02 PM

Sorry, double post.

MotoGPFan26 12-01-2007 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: AlmosN8kd

Besides, if I wanted a truely crazy fast bike I'd probably look at moving to a 1000RR in about 3 years but the 600 is plenty for now.

...And, now that I have the Honda, I don't think I'm going to want to ever get rid of it even when I am ready for that larger displacement bike.
I would move up to a larger displacement sportsbike after, and only after, you can make FULL use of the 600rr's potential...

If you don't know...that will very likelynever happen.

What does this tell you? Liter bikes are for bragging rights only. I dare say very few individuals on this forum can actually ride a 600rr to it's potential...and those guys have been tracking bikes for many years and are very serious about racing.

For the rest of us...a supersport 600 will ALWAYS be way more than what we actually NEED to be riding. Anyone who tells you different is full of **** or has an ego that's just waiting to get shown differently.

Enjoy the bike. Be careful. It's a LOT of bike for a new rider.

AlmosN8kd 12-02-2007 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: MotoGPFan26
I would move up to a larger displacement sportsbike after, and only after, you can make FULL use of the 600rr's potential...

If you don't know...that will very likelynever happen.

What does this tell you? Liter bikes are for bragging rights only. I dare say very few individuals on this forum can actually ride a 600rr to it's potential...and those guys have been tracking bikes for many years and are very serious about racing.

For the rest of us...a supersport 600 will ALWAYS be way more than what we actually NEED to be riding. Anyone who tells you different is full of **** or has an ego that's just waiting to get shown differently.

Enjoy the bike. Be careful. It's a LOT of bike for a new rider.

Thank you for the advice, it is very appreciated. And, I definitely agree with you, I doubt I will ever truely get to the full potential of the 600RR but it is a long way off and I'm happy with what I've got so it's staying for now.