New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First Bike, First Post

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike, First Post

Hi All. Glad to be part of the forum! I'm considering a new US 250R for my 30th birthday in March. This would be my first bike - always wanted one - and would serve as a daily commuter in the city.

Some have asked why such a "small bike", which will no doubt come up here too, so here are my reasons:
  1. This is for commuting and leisurely riding - I won't be racing or otherwise needing more HP.
  2. The alternative is a similarly sized/priced scooter - obviously the CBR is WAY cooler and fits my style.
  3. As a commuter, MPG is important.
  4. This is my first bike - I will likely upgrade later once I'm comfortable riding on a daily basis.
  5. The price is right and fits with our current financial situation and goals of minimizing debt.
Anyway, I'm curious when the CBR250R section will appear under the current models section of the forum homepage - not just under "European Models"? Based on Ninja250 sales, it sounds like this will be a huge seller.

I'll likely put some money down in January, once the price is announced. Then I plan to go through a Cycle class and get my endorsement prior to picking up my bike in March. Any other thoughts or suggestions on buying? What about pricing (when it is announced), is it customary to haggle with the dealer, and what percentage off is a reasonable expectation? I also need a full compliment of gear (helmet, jacket), is it better to lump this in with the purchase from the same dealer, or seek out a better deal?

Can't wait to get the bike!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Hi Dawson! Welcome to CBRF! This is a great forum, filled with tones on information, and knowledge.

First off, nobody here will flame you for starting out on a smaller bike whatsoever! In fact, you will be praised for being smart enough to start small on a sport bike. Im not too sure when the 250 will be added to the current section, Im really not even sure the bike is available for purchase yet? But what would I know, I havent been stateside for about 1 1/2 years. Alot can change in that time.

On the whole buying part, you definitely are going to want to haggle with the guy, not really sure there is a set percentage you can get off. It really is gonna depend on if they need your money, or if the bikes are selling themselves. When I bought my bike from the dealer, I got all my gear at the same time. If I rember correctly they threw in the helmet, and then I got something like 15% off whatever gear I wanted.

And again props to you for planning on taking the MSF course! Its a great course, and IMHO best way to get your endorement.

Let us know when you get your bike, and feel free to ask any questions! Just keep in mind to not ride out of your own limits.

-Dennis

Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

hi dawson -- great to see we'll have some participants in the US 250 conversations. personally, i'm looking forward to some buzz from big red in these other markets they've been ignoring. the forum structure changes have been already been suggested, we'll see how it turns out.

welcome to the forum!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:30 AM

welcome to cbrforum.

cant wait to see the 250 when it comes out for the US

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM

Hey welcome aboard!

will be exciting to see the 250. I plan on getting one for my wench. Either the CBR250rr or the Ninja 250 - whichever she prefers.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Welcome to the forum im already on the waiting list here at my local dealer this bike is going to be a steal price is said to be around 4,200 us dollars is supose to out perform the ninja by far seeing the power is all from one cylinder instead of twoand the power bad is starting in first gear instead of waiting till four gear with the ninjas

Old 11-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Welcome to the CBR Forum!! A wise decision on the CBR 250. I am looking forward to seeing pics.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lj 900RReno
Welcome to the forum im already on the waiting list here at my local dealer this bike is going to be a steal price is said to be around 4,200 us dollars is supose to out perform the ninja by far seeing the power is all from one cylinder instead of twoand the power bad is starting in first gear instead of waiting till four gear with the ninjas

I saw your post about this in another thread. Did you have to put money down to get on the waiting list? Did they give you any idea when they would be available? Hoping to go test drive one in late January when a buddy comes out from MI. I hesitate settling on a dealer until I can negotiate a price. I always seem to get screwed with large purchases...

Maybe we'll have to get together in SLC sometime, looks to be half way!

Old 11-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Dawson, well for now we have a few posts up under the European Thread
for lower cc bikes Thread Here

I'd say once enough people get 'em and interest is peaked then there'd be no reason
for it not to have it's own section under current models. The Admin's here ....a right
nice bunch of Guys ..... are the ones to perform that magic at some point.

Well enjoy the forum and we look forward to seeing your new bike in the future

Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site, Dawson!
Negotiating on a new model will depend on Hondas pricing and the demand.
On a 250R section... I'm sure we'll look into setting that up around the time they hit the market also.
I think a new 250 is a great idea. I'm looking forward to the new 600F, too.

Quick Reply: First Bike, First Post