New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike?

Hello everyone, I just turned 15 a month ago and planning on getting my first motorcycle this summer. I've been wanting to get a 2002 Honda CBR 600 for awhile now. I have a friend that's selling his and wanted to know what ya'll think. I've ridden dirtbikes for 3 years and believe I will feel comfortable on a CBR. It has 5,427 miles and has a Two Brothers Carbon fiber exhaust. My main question is I live in the state of Virginia and want to know what insurance will be like. Thanks in advance and safe riding!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Default RE: First Bike?

I am 22 years old with one 1 point ticket, i pay 1600 a year and have been quoted as high as 3200... I would be shocked if you were able to pick up full coverage for less than 2500/yr... thats a lotta bike for a new rider let alone someone who doesnt have a license yet.. I wont be alone in saying you should start out w something smaller, but whatever you end up buying just make sure to gear up real good..expect spending a minimum of 500 dollars for a decent jacket/helmet/gloves, and wear them always

Old 03-28-2008, 12:56 AM

Just remember that you're going to need the proper finances and expenses for riding a motorcycle. That means paying for insurance, gear, and your bike. I pay $419 a year for full coverage. I've been quoted over $6k a year. You're definitely a youngster having just turned 15. I would suggest you shopping around and calling every place you can. Also, try insuring under the same company as your parents.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Banned

With 3 years of dirtbike experience you understand how to operate a motorcycle, but I know when I was 15, I was a not really in control enough to safely operate a motorcycle like a CBR600. Riding is a mental thing more than anything, I am trying not to sound like an a-hole, but look for something that won't kill you so quickly if you have a small lapse in judgement. Also the fairings and body parts are so f**king expensive that even a small mistake will cost you a crapload of money so there really are better choices for a first bike.

I know you were wondering about insurance, so I have been quoted from over $2k to $400 for full coverage. The $400 was with state farm, I have a house and 2 other cars with them as well as an $3m umbrella policy so that is why itwas cheap.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM

I wish you the best on this one but with all the crashin here lately..i would look elsewhere for advice cuz no one listens...take a MSF course and decide if riding is really for you...on the street...because riding dirt bike and riding in traffic...i dont care what any one says.....

RIDING A DIRTBIKE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TRAFFIC!!!!!!!

O let me guess they let distracted soccer moms with a loded SUV cut you off in the dirt now huh..
OR the the disgruntled motorist cut you off as you try to make a legal lane change ...
Its a mad world on the street not all stand ups and stoppies..people die horrific deaths everyday on motorcycles and its mostly because people DO NOT pay attention while driving...
If im ranting ..ok.... but i will not sit back and read another post about someone who gets in over their head and wrecks out...this is a forum desigend to educate and share...so im sharing...

Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM

im 24 and i pay 1400 a year with progressive but i have been quoted as high as 6000 with gieco. i have probably 1200 invested in jacket/helmet/gloves. so be prepared to spend some money. especiallyon your gear. dont cheap out. there are many people on here that will tell you that good gear will save you if you crash. like everyone is saying maybe start out with something a little smaller til you get the feel of riding.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned

there are many people on here that will tell you that good gear will save you if you crash.
Good gear will save you from road rash. But nothing will save you from getting dead from blunt trauma. A helmet may save your life as much from luck as anything else, other gear will save your skin, but only your brain will consistantly remind you when to take it easy and chill, whether it is funky traffic or just a bad feeling. At 15, when you feel invincible and your reflexes are spot on, is when you ignore your brain and trust the rest, no amount of gear can save you from yourself.

The road is a bad place to learn the hard way. Small bikes are FUN. As you know, all bikes are fun, but 100 HP is really way to much to start with, that is statistics talking, not some paranoid 44 year old.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:22 PM

i pay 22 a month for liability. and im only 19.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:06 PM

^^ thats for liability. hes probably going to have to get full coverage unless he finds a way to pay in full. when you finance anything you need full coverage.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:42 PM

I paid $400 for GAP insurance... one-time pmt and only needed liability on my first bike, a 95 YZF600....

since the wreck was the other guys fault and I had the bike paid off, never knew if the GAP insurance would've covered the cost of the bike, but it was nice get something financed and not need full-coverage

then again, since you will be 16, the bike will have to be titled in your parent's name depending on what state you're in(in IL you have to be 18), so hopefully insurance won't be too bad if your p's have a good driving record as you can probably be insured as a secondary driver on it.... just don't fall victim to what most teens do and get the feeling of "invincibility" that leads to either a wreck or a boatload of tickets...

sad since I'm 24 and thought I'd never say this, but "when I was your age" as much as I tried not to, there were times where I gave in to peer pressure OR had the urge to show off to try to impress someone... thankfully, I didn't do anything too reckless and compared to most ppl my age I drove like a grandma(i.e. any pulls to 100mph or more in my cage were done w/ a good amt of open road in front of me and burnouts/donuts were done in empty parking lots away from poles or curbs... as opposed to those who weave in and out of traffic at 100+ or do burnouts/donuts in the school parking lot b4 or after school)