New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Rhino
Ok thanks for the advice. What are some of the better brands of jackets to buy? And is there anything I should consider when I buy one?
A DOT/SNELL helmet. (Mine is a Scorpion, and I have a Fulmer as well) $150-200.
Medium to Gauntlet style gloves (about $30-60)
A decent jacket (Alpinestar, Joe Rocket, etc.) Mine was $200, some are easily 500.00
Pants that can zip connect to the jacket (eg joe rocket) $150
Boots (I like mine from joe rocket because they let me shift so easy) $250

Almost my entire set is joe rocket.
just make sure you try em on, and they fit you well, and on the bike, they fit well (pants are a must for this). and make em comfortable... I love my mesh jacket in the 90* weather.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I didn't know the gear was so much. If you wreck are your jacket and pants pretty much trashed? Or are they durable enough to withstand some road rash?

Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mesh prolly won't survive a wreck.
Textile can prolly survive a couple, depending on how far you grind on them
Leather will survive the best but will cost the most.

In the end it doesn't matter if the gear survives or not so long as you do, relatively unscathed. If you pay $1000 for a leather suit, trash it in a wreck but come out without a single rash on you its the best $1000 you ever spent.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Ya that's true good way to put it. I think I'm gona get either mesh or textile. Is textile pretty breathable in 90-100 degree weather? I don't wana take my jacket off after a ride and sweat a ton haha

Old 04-04-2010, 06:52 PM

I hear textile is pretty beathable, it being the compromise between leather's toughness and mesh's lightweight. Some of the guys living down in Florida wear them and haven't melted yet. I wear a leather jacket period. And lots of Speed Stick Some manufacturers also make a perforated leather jacket, which along with venting improves comfort. The truth is you'll really only sweat when stopped (lights / traffic) and when walking around. So long as there are vents and you're moving, you really won't sweat much.

There's a Riding Gear subforum here where a lot of guys post reviews of gear they bought.

A good idea is to check the clearance sections of places like Revzilla and Kneedraggers. That's where they're offloading the stock of last year's models. Once you find something you like at the price you want, go to a regular shop and try on something similar by the same manufacturer. That way you get your size right. Then order online.

I'm lucky and unlucky. Lucky that Revzilla is located here in Philly and I can swing by any time when lookin for gear. Unluck that Revzilla is located here in Philly and I can swing by any time to buy gear

Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Ok cool I'm leaning more toward the textile right now. I checked out that review forum and it helped a lot this site is awesome when I need info on anything. Haha I know what you mean man its easy to spend all of your money on toys n gear

Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 PM

No comment. I'm out of birthday and xmas presents from my girlfriend for a couple years

She grabbed me a new jacket in January that cost $800+. And now she's buying my new bike. Myself, I've prolly tossed about $300 in parts into my F3. About another $500 in just neat toys.... err, I mean essentials for it (2 alarms, 2 LED kits, jetkit). And I never bothered totalling up the tool costs (compressor, air tools, paint guns, sync tool, vacuum pump, 2 full sets of ratchets, wrenches and anything that looked neat in Pepboys)

Expensive diversion from worrying about money

Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Those are the essentials though haha at least you have a girlfriend thats cool about it. I'm going to have to get a girlfriend so I can get some more gear lol

Old 04-05-2010, 03:26 AM

newenough.com nice textile and leather jackets, look on ebay too. Also pull up the joe rocket sizing chart and make sure what you wear. You could even go to a bike shop and try on a joe rocket jacket and see what you wear. Helments as well i love my scorpion exo. I have 2 textile jackets with about $100 for each.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Welcome to the board! Sounds like you are getting some really great advice from people that have been there. I'll just echo their sentiments. Been down and did the sliding thing and walked away with a sore wrist ... no rash. There's some pictures here floating around of peeps who wore little or no gear and slid. Not pretty.

Again, not trying to preach or beat you over the head ... but gear is just part of riding a motorcycle. ATGATT -- All The Gear All The Time

And if you do decide on that 954 might I suggest being very respectful of the throttle. It'll hit 100mph in under 1/4 mile ... at 100mph you slide for a looooooooong way if something comes undone