New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike

Wats up guys? I'm 18 and about to get my first bike tomorrow it's a 2003 CBR 954RR. It has been dropped by the previous owner so I will have to get some new fairings. Anybody know some good places to get fairings?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the CBRF, dude!

If you haven't taken the MSF course, you should. I can't stress that enough. The 954RR is one powerful bike, and certainly not designed for a beginner. I'm not trying to act like your dad or anything, man, but I'm not gonna bullchit you, either. As a new rider, you're gonna make mistakes. Everyone does. (I know I did! ) A litrebike just amplifies the mistakes.... big time.
So take it slow man. A little too much throttle, speed, or brake (or the wrong clutch work) can put you on your *** before you know it. I like to see new riders start out on something smaller because I think it not only makes them a better rider, but smaller bikes are just way more forgiving.
And it's not about being a sissy, either, it's about learning to ride well without hurting yourself.
My best friend (that I've known all my life) has an F2. He's been riding for several years now, and is still getting comfortable with it. He's no sissy, either. In fact, he's a tattoo covered MMA fighter.
Hell, Valentino Rossi was just getting good with the 250cc class around your age. (and he had been riding all his life!)

Ride safe out there, man. Not only are cagers trying to kill you, but the smallest mistake on your end can mean your azz.
Take it slow, get some good instruction, and once again.... Welcome to the CBRF!!

And I don't mean to scare you (well yeah, I kinda do...lol) but I'm sure you've seen the newspaper articles and news stories that begin with the line "A motorcyclist was seriously injured/killed today"...... and I don't want it to be one of our folks here.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 04-02-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Da Rhino, quite the first bike. Like KilgoreTrout says ......treat with respect.
As for fairings .....good bet is C L or Ebay or local ...... depending on where ya are.

Ride Safe man.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 AM

Hey kilgoretrout and sprock thanks for the welcoming and information. I used to ride dirtbikes a lot when I was younger and I am now moving up to the street bikes. I know its gona be completely different but I'm looking forward to learning. I'm not gona lie that bike scares the hell out of me haha I will definately take it slow until I get completely comfortable with it. Ill have to look around for those fairings thanks man. Also what kinds of helmets do you guys prefer? I'm gona pick one up pretty soon, any advice on what brand and price ect?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Man we kinda go for brand .....Scorpion , AFX etc.etc ...... Pick your dollar budget get the best with that ............ but hopefully y'll put a bit extra towards the "hat" it's the one
piece of gear that's .........well lets just say .............."fund-a-mental"

Last edited by Sprock; 04-03-2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Welcome to the CBRF, dude!

If you haven't taken the MSF course, you should. I can't stress that enough. The 954RR is one powerful bike, and certainly not designed for a beginner. I'm not trying to act like your dad or anything, man, but I'm not gonna bullchit you, either. As a new rider, you're gonna make mistakes. Everyone does. (I know I did! ) A litrebike just amplifies the mistakes.... big time.
So take it slow man. A little too much throttle, speed, or brake (or the wrong clutch work) can put you on your *** before you know it. I like to see new riders start out on something smaller because I think it not only makes them a better rider, but smaller bikes are just way more forgiving.
And it's not about being a sissy, either, it's about learning to ride well without hurting yourself.
My best friend (that I've known all my life) has an F2. He's been riding for several years now, and is still getting comfortable with it. He's no sissy, either. In fact, he's a tattoo covered MMA fighter.
Hell, Valentino Rossi was just getting good with the 250cc class around your age. (and he had been riding all his life!)

Ride safe out there, man. Not only are cagers trying to kill you, but the smallest mistake on your end can mean your azz.
Take it slow, get some good instruction, and once again.... Welcome to the CBRF!!

And I don't mean to scare you (well yeah, I kinda do...lol) but I'm sure you've seen the newspaper articles and news stories that begin with the line "A motorcyclist was seriously injured/killed today"...... and I don't want it to be one of our folks here.
+1 +1 +1 +1
I am 20 young as well, and I have had 2 954s since I was 18. The first got put down by a bob-cat at about 70mph. (sucked). Needless to say even though I also had a good back ground on bikes I went back AGAIN and relearned everything I could. Basically I say take it a little slow. Get good and comfortable with the 954 because is a beast. I'd recommend the Twist the wrist book. GREAT help. Just make sure you get at the very least a good jacket, preferrably textile or better, a good set of gloves, and a great helment (i have a sporpion EXO and love it). And enjoy be smart watch out for idiots on the road (those GSXR riders) J/k. And also be prepared to hear the question, "What kind of bike is that?" Because you will hear that ALOT only a few select people know what a 954 is. Have fun on a great bike. Lots of knowledable peeps in the 954 section. Ask away.
Finch

I'd also try to find some OE fairings if you could. Alot better quality.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the helmet info guys ill have to check some out. Sorry about the crash bubba that must have been though, I'm glad you walked away from it though. Ill check out that book to it sounds like its pretty good. Ill be getting a jacket n gloves once I get enough money cuz I'm broke right now haha. I'm gona be ready for all the questions, that's why I got the 954 because I never see them out on the road and I wanted a bike that's not like all the others. I found some OE fairings I like so ill be getting those once I get some cash

Old 04-04-2010, 04:08 PM

Hey Da Rhino.

I saw when you first posted up but didn't say anything. Didn't want to come off like I was tryin to be your dad or anything. But now I gotta say something: Gear before anything, including riding

Helmet just ain't enough with anything capable of doing more than 25 mph. Nowhere near enough with that bike. If you come off at any real speed, which that 954 will pass in an eyeblink, it's gonna shred anything you're wearing and then start working on skin & bone. My bud went down practicing in a parking lot at about 20 mph and it went thru the denim jacket + tshirt he was wearing.

I know you have dirtbike experience. But the dirt is much more forgiving than concrete. Actually concrete doesn't forgive at all. It just eats anything sliding along it.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:39 PM

Ok thanks for the advice. What are some of the better brands of jackets to buy? And is there anything I should consider when I buy one?

Old 04-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Forums!
like Kuro said...
Hell, If i could wear chainmail i would.

Invest in some good gear.
I threw over a grand on mine, and it's saved my life twice.