New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

CBR600RR -> First street bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600RR -> First street bike

at the end of winter (january ish) i will be buying a new (hopefully) or slightly used 2006 cbr600rr. just wondering what else (or if i have even picked the right gear) I should buy?

Bike:
Red 2006 CBR600RR
Two Bros Carbon M-2 or M-5 (whats the difference?)
CW Fender eliminator
clear alternatives integrated tail light (is there a better one?)
and possibly new bulbs (both front and the center one)

Gear:
HJC CL-SP Animus
Icon TiMax 2 textile (black)
gauntlets (don't know jet)

probally won't buy motorcycle specific boots or pants (riding to school) so I would wear my work boots, and look at the slider shorts and knee armour from icon

any comments/sugestions would be apreciated

Old 11-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Default RE: CBR600RR -> First street bike

nobody?
up

Old 11-14-2006, 12:25 AM

You dont really want to hear them do you? You know what some will say, and the others will say the opposite. Just one question. Why? Why buy a new 600RR as your first bike? What drew you to it? And once you do get said bike, the first thing you're going to do is mod the hell out of it. Why? Im curious what goes through someones mind when they decide to do this ****. I'm asking you for help here. Help me understand. Then I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have. As for the gear, I dont like HJC myself. Shoei, Aria are all I can stand anymore. Icon jacket? Maybe, I'd have to see it. I witnessed a friend go down in textile, then watched it dissapear as he slid down the road. I would personally never own it. I do own a pair of textile pants, only used because they are water proof. Not the best, and I realize that rash will happen with them but wet leather sucks. Gloves, yup, get gauntlet style gloves.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:25 AM

Oh yeah, welcome!!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Retired Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

The difference between the M2 and M5 is the outside diameter of the can. The sound and performance are the same. I have the M2h on my 05 600RR and couldn't be happier.

I have the tail light and CW kit, love them also with no problems. I have the hotbodies racing LEDs for front signals and replace the positioning light with a LED also. I need to get off my butt and replace the head lights with silverstars so I match the blueish LED light now.

Seems you are putting more money into gear for the bike than yourself. I tried a HJC helmet and can not give a good review of it. It was a cheaper $120 one so the $300 ones may be nicer. Scorpion makes a nice helmet that some members here have an like for around $140 and $200.

I had a friend wreck wearing a textile jacket, the exact same Joe Rocket I have/had. Just a simple cut off and he was doing a max of 10mph taking off from a light in traffic. The guy cut into him and he reacted by trying to turn into a rental car lot to avoid the hit (good move) but the loose gravel made him drop it and he stepped over the bike and did the ninja roll thing. Ripped the sleeve at the seem about 4 inches. WTF would happen at 50mph or 100mph?

I cant lecture about the pants because I still don't have leathers, but I will soon. I wear the short gloves and gauntlets for winter riding. You need to try them both out and see what you like.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Banned

Yeah, I agotta agree with 'the one who eats gixxers' with respect to modding a bike you don't own or have never ridden. The thing that I have learned with my bike is that rarely if ever do I ever even get the chance to really lean it over on my day to day rides. What I am trying to say is that the bike should be chosen with the type of riding you will be doing. If you are lucky enough to have nice twisty roads nearby and the time and desire to ride them, then an RR is great, if you are stuck in a place with straightaways and abrupt 90 degree turns, then think something else.

If you are completely new to bikes then you may want to buy used the first time for a few reasons. Some people buy bikes and then don't like riding, dropping a new bike sucks, riding in your area may be better on a different style of bike (not a crotch rocket), and of course it costs less and leaves you more money for good safety gear (I think Icon is OK for the price, I have one of their jackets, there is better stuff out there though ).

Good luck and keep us posted on your choice.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 PM

Ive been riding for coming up on ten years (almost 17
I do realize I will probally drop the bike, but frame sliders might help a bit,
as for twisties.......... there are 3 straight stretches longer than a mile within a half hour of my house, everything else is lots of fun (I live up in the hills, and as long as you don't ruine it for everybody else, they won't for you)

gixxereater: first STREET bike. Currently riding my dad's KTM 450 ECX (street legal) and his 640. I want something of my own (street bike) that is big enough (not a 250, 500, or non "racing" type ie GS500) to last for a while, and not be too big (I have no buisness on a liter bike) but still be fun. As for modding: PERSONALIZATION Exhaust: better pitch Fender eliminator: looks better Integrated taillight: less crap on the rear Other lights: just better (so I can see you and you can see me) Overall, it wasn't perfect so I'm fixing it.
As for being drawn to the bike: performance, looks, price. Eventhough I won't be a motogp racer, I might go to a track once in a while, and at the very least I would have the fantasy of doing so. It looks great to me, and because the 2007 model is out, this model is obviously a piece of worthless crap and thus the price will go down ($7,000 new on ebay now, wait till january...)
Hope this has helped you understand my reasoning, and thank you, as well as the others for your imput; It has caused me to rethink (if only a little) my choice in gear.
I will let you guy know how it goes.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:36 AM

Ive been riding for coming up on ten years
I dont doubt that one bit. I assumed you hadn't touched one as you were asking about gear. Most people with experience tend not to do that as they already have it or have a good idea what they want because of what they have used.

(almost 17
Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the explanation.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:34 AM

Hello & Welcome!!