New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

cbr for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr for touring?

Hi all,

I'm new to the CBR forum and have a question. I feel out of place because I do not yet have my CBR but I'm looking at the CBR 600. I'm new to the motorcycle world (as in I have not yet received my permit) and I'm wondering if the 600 would be a good first bike for me. I'm 34 yrs. old and I feel that I would be able to handle a 600, but this is coming from someone who's only motorcycling experience was a 125 dirtbike about 10 yrs. ago in a school parking lot for about a minute. Does a lot of time on a bicycle count for anything? I can also drive a manual transmission car. Does that help with learning how to operate a motorcycle clutch? I would also like to take trips on my CBR and I'm wondering how CBR's would go? I'd love to know everyone's thoughts about this.

Thanks for the time,

jase

Old 08-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Default RE: cbr for touring?

Hi Jase,

I just started too, and had the same concerns. I did the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and
felt much better about riding. I have 700 miles on my cbr600rr, and its my first bike, and I love it.
Its pretty scary fast the first few twists of the throttle, but you get used to that, and its totally up to
you how fast you chose to ride it. The saleman talked me out of starting on a 250 cc bike, and now
that I have a month on the 600, I am glad I listened as I think the 250 would have lacked power
for highway speeds - but I am 200+ lb.

I had ridden mountain bikes for years, and there is a trick to learning and forcing yourself
to counter-steer the motorcycle, but it comes with a few rides with some corners. As for touring,
I can't comment, I haven't ridden more than 100 miles in a day, but it is more comfortable than
a bicycle. Some people ( not on this forum-but elsewhere) that you have a lot of weight on
your wrists on a CBR. Its more upright than my mountain bike - so for me thats not an issue.

I strongly recommend the MSF course to anyone new, my wife did it recently, and now has full
confidence on her new bike too.
Chris

Old 08-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE: Is the CBR a good touring bike?
The F4 (and I'd assume the F4i) is a fantastic touring bike... people may not like the single bananna seat or the slightly higher bars but when it comes to real world comfort it's perfect for real everyday road wear. The longest day I've put on this cbr (after a few months of ownership) is 700km. I find it far more comfortable than my older bike too - which I logged several '3000 km in 3 day' weekends on.

RE: The 250 wouldn't pull a 200lb person around.
If you're talking about the rebel, or the virago or the nighthawk - then maybe they're is an ounce of truth. The ninja 250 is probably the best starter bike out there. As for highway miles- I've ridden with alot of 250s and I know of more than one who's completed a saddlesore on one - that's over 11,000 miles in 11 days fully loaded with clothes and alot of electronics. One of those is Leon and he must be 6'4" - although lightly built he must be around that 200lb mark.

The thing with a starter bike is you can sell it when you are done and they don't depreciate as quickly as the replica bikes - there will always be a need for a starter bike, but as the next get replicas role out the previous gen sell for dog meat. Works for me as I've loved ridding older gen 600s.

MSF?
The MSF is a great course. Even if you have some dirt experience take it. You're supposed to learn the fundamentals of riding a bike, and learn to ride defensively. After that it's up to you to learn just what defensive driving really means on the street. Where you are 34 I am assuming you've got road experience which really helps, but just remember that on a bike when people say ride defensively they really mean it. In a car, you can get away with the odd mistake and people won't tend to not see you on the road - on a bike neither of those statements are true.

So - take the MSF and then ride as if everyone out there is trying to kill you... learn what making space means.

The 600rr as a first bike
I'm not a big fan of it... it's not a litre bike which is a big step in the right direction. The 600rr and 'even' the F4 deserve alot of respect. The type of respect, young males particularily, that means be careful. These bikes are replicas - built for the race track. They go very fast, very quickly. It takes a long time to learn enough about riding to be able to think ahead of a bike when it's given plenty of throttle. The faster things happen the less time you have to think about the right thing to do. New riders make mistakes and mistakes on a fast bike can turn into accidents very quickly.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from the 600rr - I just think that people jump into the sport and pick the supercar... you don't see many people have an enzo for their first car -- but I've met alot of people who've started on the 600rr or the 1000rr. I think it's insane.

Even if you were up to the challenge of riding the 600rr (very mature or what ever other arguement) do you need the 600rr? Money wise - why not get a $1000-$2500 starter bike, put $800 into gear ride for a few years - sell the starter bike for 75% of what you brought it for and then by a new bike... it sounds like a waste of money to some, but what's a bigger waste of money is sinking ~$7000 into a new bike and then finding out you don't like it, or it's too fast, or you have an accident and have to replace $2000 worth of plastic.

I can rant on this issue for ever, and I know the other side can as well... everybody is different and nobody will accept another person's point of view... I just lay that out there as the counter opinion of many...

--- Aside ---
When I first started riding I wanted to tell the world how much fun it was and how they should all ride. I've learned over the years that riding isn't for everyone. I don't want other people to start riding... I want them to WANT to start riding and ask me about it... I no longer in

Old 08-22-2006, 07:44 PM

Thanks cjp and woot for your comments.
I definately want to learn to ride the right way. I really do not want to start on a race replica bike for sure. I'll continue to look at my options. I'm planning on taking the MSF course soon and I'm sure I'll learn more about myself as a rider and what might fit me right now.
What is the difference between the RR and F4i? Is the F4i more upright seating and heavier?
Thanks to all,

jase

Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 PM

The RR is a bit lighter, a bit more power and a more aggressive stance.

The f4i is a bit heavier and a quite a bit more comfortable.
The f4 is almost the same as the f4i, except it always came with the single seat... pretty simular to the f4i, a bit less power but a bit more comfortable.

The F2 and F3 I don't know, however, I'd say the same would apply - at least as comfortable as the f4, cheaper and a bit less powerful.

For the money an F, F2 or an F3 could be far better beginner bikes than the 600rr... cheaper, still need considerable respect but alot more friendly than the 600rr.

If you were going for a used 600 then I'd say consider the F, F2, F3 the kawi zx600r (C model - or lower), the katana or bandit as they're cheap and much more beginner friendly...

If money were an issue then nothing IMHO beats the ninja250. Between 45 and 70mpg, cheapest insurance you will find and used prices from 1000-2500 for relatively new low milage machines. These aren't scooters - they'll still pull better than cheap car 0-60s and can theoretically two up (small girlfriends work best - two large men will make the 250 slow down).

Other bikes to consider? The GS500 / GS500F (not as much more than the 250 than you'd think) the kawi ex500 ninja and the ex650 (which for a 650 is friendly for a beginner and certainly has some touring capability)... or the DL650. The sv650 is getting to be more bike again - and if you go that far consider the older gen 600s.

The main thing is that you find something you can ride alot... what type of riding do you want to do? If you're thinking touring then find a bike that gets good milage and/or has a big tank. I had an xj650 that got poor milage and had a small tank... touring meant stopping every 1.5 hours for gas! Not a way to log miles fast for a cross country trip.

Cheers,
woot.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:27 PM

Thanks woot for your input, it's appreciated.
I would like to get some riding experience and then work up to doing some touring. Touring just seems to really appeal to me. My father did some touring with some friends from work when I was 10, so maybe it's from hearing about his adventures that makes me want to get out there. I'm really looking forward to it though.

Thanks again,

jase

Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 PM

Woot,

What kind of gas mileage do you get on your F4?

jase

Old 08-22-2006, 10:02 PM

It varies alot - I spent a day at a private road track and got terrible mpg... but I had a pretty good fun per gallon going

On the recent 700km day trip I hit 51mpg. I think that is a bit higher than normally expected. Commuting I'm getting 43-45mpg. Pretty good imho. I don't think many sport orientated bikes will do that well - not in the 600 or more classes anyhow.

Touring - I love it. Solo day trips or group trips are alot of fun - pick the people you're with carefully and you'll have a blast. You can enjoy the journey and then enjoy the destination. Don't rule out small tours from your first year... just don't expect to feel comfortable doing >500 mile days in the first little while

I live in a coastal area - sometimes I just take the day off work and ride as far up the coast as I can... when it gets too late or I'm tired I can just hop on the slab and head for home. Taking it nice and easy and exploring the hidden back roads is an absolute blast... you never know what you'll find. Some of the adventures... funny situations where you happen to run out of gas - and the person who stops to give you a lift to the local station is a friend of a friend. Fixing a bike enroute with strange bits of twine and tape... the kind of stuff that you'll always remember and wonder what will happen this time.

You've got a good attitude... sounds like you're going to have a blast in the not too distant future

Old 08-23-2006, 01:35 AM

Yeah, as for taking road trips, the 600rr is NOT the bike you are looking for. I travel with it between Destin, FL & Orlando (6-7hrs) and its a LONG ride. The seats are some of the most uncomfortable things in the world to travel on!!!! That being said, however, its a great bike!!! I raced motocross for about 5 years starting at around 9 til around 14. I started of on the 600rr as a streetbike. I took the MSF before even attemoting to ride it, and it help tremendously. Dont get me wrong, it is a COMPLETELY different bike then those used to train on, but gives you a sense of security and the knowledge to get started. As long as you take it slow first off, respect everything, and remember evertything you learned, there should be nop problems what so ever. Its great to ride around town, but anything after a few hours, you'll get sore (atleast I do). Get is pretty good however. I get around 160 mile per tank, which doesnt seem to bad, and it cost around 9.75 to fill it up. But, thats just my .02 and isnt anymore right than anyone else. The F4i is also a great bike,it just comes down to what you want. Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:23 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Quick Reply: cbr for touring?