New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Is a cbr right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a cbr right for me?

Just got my m1 and am really interested in getting eiether an f4 or f4i 600. I am curious as to whether a cbr is truly superior compared to other street bikes. I really would like to hear others points of view, common problems of the bikes and how difficult they are to work on.

Alot of my good friends have honda dirt bikes and cars. They just seem bullet proof which is why i am truly looking into a cbr. I would love to get others input though.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thealphalum
Just got my m1 and am really interested in getting eiether an f4 or f4i 600. I am curious as to whether a cbr is truly superior compared to other street bikes. I really would like to hear others points of view, common problems of the bikes and how difficult they are to work on.

Alot of my good friends have honda dirt bikes and cars. They just seem bullet proof which is why i am truly looking into a cbr. I would love to get others input though.

Thanks in advance.
I bought an F4i the week after I got my license. First time on a bike with a motor and rode it an hour back to my house. Given I stalled at just about every stop sign haha.
I think they hold their own for sure with other 600s. Its really just based on rider preference. I wanted an r6 but once I went and looked at the f4i I had to have it. Comfy fast and reliable. I'm slowly building my skills both on the bike and off, mechanically ya know. I'm loving every minute of it. Good luck to you.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 600cc supersport is not a good first bike for anyone. You will develop your riding skills faster, with less chance of a painful and expensive crash, if you start on a bike that will be more forgiving when you chop the throttle during a turn you entered too hot, or grab the brakes too hard, or overdo it on the throttle as you come out of a turn. People talk about 'respecting' the bike, which is nonsense. A bike is a machine that responds to the physical inputs the operator gives it, nothing more. And a supersport's throttle, brakes, and steering are engineered to respond very powerfully to small inputs. A new rider will learn how to control the bike, and handle the situations that come up on the road, much better with a bike that doesn't react so harshly to the mistakes you will make as you develop.

Get a used 250 (CBR or Ninja), or a 500 for under $2,000, ride it, have fun, get better at riding, sell it for what you paid, and then think about what your next bike should be. The F4i is a great bike. It's an even better bike when you have the skills and knowledge to ride it to its potential. The old cliche is true: this is your first bike, not your last.

Best wishes and ride safe.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got my m1
Congrats!

really interested in getting eiether an f4 or f4i 600. I am curious as to whether a cbr is truly superior compared to other street bikes.
Well, they are HONDA! :-) The reputation for reliability is there for a reason. :-)

I really would like to hear others points of view, common problems of the bikes and how difficult they are to work on.
If you can turn a wrench, you can do a great majority of maintenance on a CBR. Typical issues are the CCT...it will begin to tick & eventually need replacement. This isn't to say that *all* CBRs do this but it is a common issue...BUT easily corrected.

friends have honda dirt bikes and cars. They just seem bullet proof which is why i am truly looking into a cbr. I would love to get others input though...
Just remember: Reputation for a Reason. ;-)

Welcome to CBRF!