New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

CBR To EBR

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR To EBR

Hi folks. Thought I would drop in to introduce myself before I start pounding you with questions. I'm a 20 year rider, my main ride is an ST-1300. Technical writing is my day gig, but I do a little writing about motorcycles from time to time and I have a couple of travel-related books out.

I recently became the owner of a '93 CBR1000F. I bought it for the purpose of converting it to an electrically-powered bike.

I chose the CBR for a couple of reasons: 1) It's chain powered which is the simplest to attach to an electric motor, 2) it has a large, strong frame into which I can stick a lot of batteries for added range, and 3) as a sport bike, the fairing is slipperier than converting a UJM or cruiser.

I am installing an AC motor that will run at 96 volts and a max of 550 amps. This won't be a stock CBR off the lines by any means, but it won't be far behind either. With the lithium-iron phosphate batteries I plan to use, I'll have a range of about 70 miles. Again, that won't outrun a gas-powered CBR, but it'll be about twice the range of the average electric conversion and plenty good for running around town and showing off at bike nights.

I wanted to join this forum because I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the conversion and because I have some questions about some aspects of the bike that I will be keeping, such as the braking system. I also have some parts to sell off. I'm keeping the fairing, frame and brakes, but anything related to the motor I won't need.

Here's a picture of what it looked like prior to the beginning of the build. I will update this thread from time to time with updates. I am keeping a full account at my site, www.dalecoyner.com. Thanks for your time.

I hope I don't offend anyone here by pulling apart a CBR for this project, but I think the outcome is going to be pretty cool.

--
Dale Coyner
Herndon, Virginia
Rider & Writer
www.dalecoyner.com

Old 10-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forums. That actually sounds pretty cool. I cant wait to see how it turns out. This place is full of great info but i dunno how much of it youll need since youll be going electric. haha. Good luck

Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum !
If you want to see what a completed electric 1000F looks like,come down to visit us and look up recent threads on an identical project.
Nice bike, maybe you can sell us some engine spares.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all part of the new clean-powered mentality which will replace the fossil fuel burning pollution machines we all love so much. Fortunately for us, we should still have a few decades left still until us gasoline addicted dinasours are phased out by the eco friendly generation; God bless them.
That's one very nice garage you've got there Dale. Keep us posted. Welcome to CBRF

Old 11-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey there Dale!! :-)

WELCOME!!

Sounds like a really interesting project you have there and will look forward to hearing
about your results ...

Good luck with it all and please keep us all posted

Enjoy the forums and take care :-)

Jules

Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard Dale, glad to have you with us
Great project you have going there,looking forward to the updates

Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Administrator - Retired

Heck, you're under 1.5hrs from me, Dale! I may end up with some spares from this.... or at the very least just come down and check this thing out.

It sounds like a real cool project.... although I'd rather see you cut up one of the uglier 88-91's....

Old 11-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Heck, you're under 1.5hrs from me, Dale! I may end up with some spares from this.... or at the very least just come down and check this thing out.

It sounds like a real cool project.... although I'd rather see you cut up one of the uglier 88-91's....
Come on down, any time. I do have some parts I will be posting that won't be going back on the bike. Not sure if there's a market for them, but will at least offer them to the CBR community first.

I chose this bike because of the full fairing and I intend to keep it. When I finish with this, I hope that the bike will retain its stock appearance so it won't look cut up at all.

The brakes are going to be simpler though.

d.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Administrator - Retired

Cool, man. I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes along.
I wish you the best of luck with it.