New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Canadian Harley Guy..uh oh!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Harley Guy..uh oh!

Hey folks, a little out of my element, as i am a proud owner of a couple 03 100 year anniversary HD's (Ultra and a Dyna)...love them, but know nothing about CBR's. My reasoning for joining is my 20 year old son just bought a 2004 CBR RR 600 and thought i could learn about these bikes. I twist a good wrench on harleys but dont have a clue with CBR's. I know that when he has issues or wants to do mods, dear old dad will do it (which he loves doing!) and this forum looks like the right place to start!

Been riding for over 25 years, love bikes, dont care what kind either, biking is biking. Live just north of Edmonton, Alberta....so greetings to all!

Mike

Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy some metric wrenches if you dont have any yet lol.

n Welcome!!!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:03 PM
October 2010 ROTM

Welcome to the forums! My dad had a 95' Easy Glide HD and like an 87' Easy Glide when I was growing up. Loved his Harley's, but I ended up getting a CBR a month back as my first bike.

I can't be much help with learning about the bike, but, at least your son is riding with you Wish my dad would buy another bike.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Ya take everything you know about wrenching, start thinking metric and then be prepared to cuss when what looks like a phillips head screw turns out to be some weird japanese screw a phillip screwdriver will strip

Old 08-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good reason to replace everything with stainless or black oxide allen screws

Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the welcomes....and yep, already have metric wrenches!

Mike

Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site, Mike! If you've done much wrenching on Harleys (which I bet you have...hehe), just take everything you know and reverse it.
Just kidding kinda, but the CBR is a different beast for sure. I don't think you could get more opposite as far as bikes go.
If you don't have a manual already, HERE is one to download. The file is marked as 2003, but it's the same for the '04. Looking through it will give you a good idea how everything works.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Welcome to the site, Mike! If you've done much wrenching on Harleys (which I bet you have...hehe), just take everything you know and reverse it.
Just kidding kinda, but the CBR is a different beast for sure. I don't think you could get more opposite as far as bikes go.
If you don't have a manual already, HERE is one to download. The file is marked as 2003, but it's the same for the '04. Looking through it will give you a good idea how everything works.

Now thats a great welcome aboard present....bought a service manual, but having it on the laptop is way handy!....thanks for the download!!

Mike

Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM

Welcome to the forum. Its good to see more Albertans on the forum.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi & welcome aboard Mike!!
Yep,the CBR is quite abit different than a Harley,just stick to the manual and U should be fine.
Good luck and enjoy the forum!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Canadian Harley Guy..uh oh!