New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Which Is The BEST Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Is The BEST Tire?

Whats going on fellas,

I havent posted anything in a while, but here i am once again in need of some help. Now that its winter ive been uprgading the bike getting it ready for some track time here in italy. I currently have some pirelli diablo corsa on the 05 1000rr which came stock on the bike. I'm having a hard time deciding which tire i should get. Now, i have to keep in mind that i also ride on street. Here in italy we have some great roads especially up the mountains. Anyways, when i went back home to florida i was asking around about tire info. I came down to the michelin pilot power or race, or the pirelli supercorsa. Now, i heard that the pilot powers, going into a full lean, give you like a strange feeling as if they were coming from under you, Like if the bike throws you down. Ive never tried them so im lost. The pilot race do the same. Now the pirelli's tend to slip even at warm temps. So, i know picking tires is all what rider is a custom too, but if someone can point me in the right direction ill appreciate it. Thank fellas.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Default RE: Which Is The BEST Tire?

read up the tire reviews in this month's sportrider mag

Old 12-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Retired Administrator

Tough question to answer because it's really a matter of opinion. From all the reviews I've read Michelin pilot power or race are at the top of the list and you seem skeptical about those so I don't know what to say. I'm content with my Dunlop 208's.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 AM

also the diablo strada i here is very good and last long and pilot power i like as well

Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 PM

Do you ride through wet weather? I`d highly recomend the Metzeler Racetecs or Pirrelli Supercorsa (Same Tyre) but alot of factors can be added in depending on your preferences like do you mind only getting 4k miles from a rear tyre and whether you ride in all weathers.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these gonna be only for track time or are you gonna do some street riding also? The "bike's about to wash out" feeling is usually a suspension gremlin unless the tires are already losing grip. My current set of tires is Bridgestone BT012SS -- don't laugh ... the bad boys handle awesome with great feel once warmed up. That is their only downfall -- gotta be hot, hot, hot. Have lasted 5K miles. Honestly they need to be replaced but I'm not wasting a new set with winter fully upon us -- will wait for spring if I can. They still have plenty of tread (no burnouts will make tires last a long time) but the compound just isn't what it was.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:14 AM

Thanks for all of the respones. I came to a conclusion. Im gonna have a set for street riding (diablo corsa which come stock) and then im going to get a set for the track in march. It will start warming up around that time here in italy so i will end up getting the Pirelli supercorsa SC2 in the front and SC3 in the back. So we will see how long those last and how they feel. Thanks again for your inputs.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:00 AM

You`ll Love em, i run K2 (Same as SC2) Compound Rear and Front there awesome. Even during my recent damp trackday they felt alot better than the bt-014`s i had been on.
Remember to wrm them up before you go playing though!!

Old 12-21-2005, 09:44 AM

Pilot Powers IMO. practically ready on any weather. and in the summer...No heating required.