New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

About to give up the CBR600!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to give up the CBR600!!

I am a new rider, I have taken two riding classes and still managed to drop my bike going 5 mph thru a left turn (how embarrassing).

I cannot control my bike at low speeds and it is extremely heavy so I could not pick it up by myself. I am 6' feet tall and 180 pounds but this bike is still heavy as Heck.

I am almost ready to downgrade to a 500 or maybe riding is not in my blood!!!!

Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy and welcome, Renee!

Slow speed maneuvering is a PITA for me and many riders. It's not something to be embarrassed about. At least not much depending on the crowd factor It's just something that takes practice to get down. Without knowing how you ride, it'll be difficult to give you tips on what to try. But I can give you a tip on picking up your bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPyX0QCYw

Where abouts do you hail from? Maybe a local can give you some hints. Going by your choice of text color and your name, I'm guessing you're female. Swing into the Ladies Lounge and reach out to a few of the other female riders

Old 05-30-2010, 10:50 AM

do you have a stock exhaust? also lifting weights will help im 6'2" and 165 pounds and i can handle my bike very well for my size thanks to working out and also changing a few of the heavier parts for something lighter (ie.. stock exhaust..etc)

Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dagoldenchild
do you have a stock exhaust? also lifting weights will help im 6'2" and 165 pounds and i can handle my bike very well for my size thanks to working out and also changing a few of the heavier parts for something lighter (ie.. stock exhaust..etc)
I'm 5' 10" and 140lbs. My F3 is the last of the steel framed Honda sport bikes. It does not flick over as easily as my F4i. But it's not muscle that gets her dancing. It's countersteering and body positioning. When on a bike and under power, the bike's weight should not be a factor in riding and control.

Track riders and racers have to put a lot of muscle into their riding. But that's because when you're doing 120 mph, the thing the bike wants to do most is go straight

Old 05-30-2010, 05:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I will check out the ladies lounge. or maybe find a veteran give me some pointers.. I live in Perryville, MD close to the Delaware line by the way. :-)

Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by RookyRiderRenee
Thanks everyone for the advice!! I will check out the ladies lounge. or maybe find a veteran give me some pointers.. I live in Perryville, MD close to the Delaware line by the way. :-)
On the ladies side Juliet, pitsvtec and Elfling are pretty good. thatsarachick is a newer rider on an F3 so she might have some insight. On veterans in general randyjoy has been a tremendous help via this forum with my riding and I believe he's a track instructor. woot has been helpful too. The mods are all pretty helpful as well.

You might try posting what kind of difficulties you're having in the How To: Riding Skills section and see what advice comes from it. I'd hate to tell someone to give it up but maybe a smaller or a newer bike might be a better fit. Though I seriously doubt its the bike. You got me by 2" and 40lbs.

Something I did learn from my job as a cable tech, which involves me being able to solo carry a 85lb 28' extension ladder: it's not about strength. It's balance. Even if the guys at the office who workout constantly try to muscle that thing, it'll win every time and kick their a$$es to boot. But balance properly and some of the smallest techs, men and women, can carry it for blocks with little effort. Same goes for these bikes.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 PM

Noooo! Don't get rid of the CBR600. Hang onto it, it's a great bike. I learned how to ride with no MSF course or anything, just practicing in my own neighborhood, and I'm only 5'9", 155lbs. Just take it easy and practice, you'll be riding in no time.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM

I'm about the same size as you and I ride an f3.

If it makes you feel any better I almost went down last night and I was standing still, haha. We had parked in grass and when I got off I was sinking a little bit, got back on to move it and next thing I know I'm halfway down to the right and my boyfriend is catching me. Also happened once pulling out of a parking lot on a downhill slope, had to stop fast for a truck I didn't see and leaned pretty far to the left. It's those moments when you realize how heavy that baby is.

I don't know that I can offer many tips except to keep trying. Maybe you can pick up a cheap 250 or 500 just to practice the slow stuff on to get you more comfortable? Once you get the feel down you should be fine no matter what you're riding. I've been riding the boyfriend's 750 around the block every once in a while and it's crazy how different it feels but it's still the same basics. I hope you don't quit though, and if there's anything I can help with let me know. There are a lot of really experienced riders around here, it's hard not to learn something.

Last edited by thatsarachik; 05-30-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoop whoop girl power

Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I'm 5' 10" and 140lbs. My F3 is the last of the steel framed Honda sport bikes. It does not flick over as easily as my F4i. But it's not muscle that gets her dancing. It's countersteering and body positioning. When on a bike and under power, the bike's weight should not be a factor in riding and control.

Track riders and racers have to put a lot of muscle into their riding. But that's because when you're doing 120 mph, the thing the bike wants to do most is go straight
you are right, i have an F3 also, but at slow speeds it does take a bit of strength to keep the bike level as well, since you don't have the speed to carry you, which her issue happens to be, i was suggesting lifting weights and shedding some pounds off the bike because i had the same problem with my f3 but after i lightened it up a bit and strengthened my body, i can handle it much better at any speed.

Quick Reply: About to give up the CBR600!!