New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

2004 cbr f4i

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 cbr f4i

Hi there, i just gt my first cbr a few days ago, and everything on the bike works great no issues except one very very concerning one that i can't seem to find an answer to no matter how vague or specific i am, basically, the bike shifts and down shifts great. However when i got to start decelerating, at a light or slowing down for cars etc. the shifter clicks i can't hear it but i can feel it. It goes up and down repeatedly. it doesn't do it fast, not at the speed the clutch would be moving, or the chain or anything that would make sense to me for that matter.... when accelerating the bike is great, no problems nice and smooth... if anyone has any info i'd really like to know whats up with it as i daily this bike and don't want to hurt it.... thank you!

Old 02-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drum bearings or shift forks a bit worn, perhaps? I'd try an oil & filter change. Go track down some Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 along with a Bosch 3323 filter (or a Bosch 3300 if the longer 3323 is a problem, which it shouldn't be). See if that changes matters any.

One other thing concerns me -
Originally Posted by Bailey Wright
i can't hear it but i can feel it.
Just as a follow up, the only time your foot should be touching the shift lever is when you're shifting. In a car, we'd be saying 'don't ride the clutch'. On a bike, it's 'don't ride the shift lever'.

Last edited by EchoWars; 02-25-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by EchoWars
Drum bearings or shift forks a bit worn, perhaps? I'd try an oil & filter change. Go track down some Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 along with a Bosch 3323 filter (or a Bosch 3300 if the longer 3323 is a problem, which it shouldn't be). See if that changes matters any.

One other thing concerns me - Just as a follow up, the only time your foot should be touching the shift lever is when you're shifting. In a car, we'd be saying 'don't ride the clutch'. On a bike, it's 'don't ride the shift lever'.
Will do, I don't ride the lever it's only on it on downshifts and that's the only time the feeling is there, I think I figured it out, the chain tension is way off, like loose so inturn on deceleration the master link is whacking the shift linkage, very very unsafe and will cause wear quick, unfortunately I don't have a bike stand nor the proper tools to do this :/ so I'll take it to the nearest shop tomorrow and get the chain adjusted and see if that does the trick, if not it's almost time for an oil and filter change anyways so I'll do that along with it, thank you for the help!

Old 02-25-2018, 09:16 PM

One other thing concerns me - Just as a follow up, the only time your foot should be touching the shift lever is when you're shifting. In a car, we'd be saying 'don't ride the clutch'. On a bike, it's 'don't ride the shift lever'.
Will do, I don't ride the lever it's only on it on downshifts and that's the only time the feeling is there, I think I figured it out, the chain tension is way off, like loose so inturn on deceleration the master link is whacking the shift linkage, very very unsafe and will cause wear quick, unfortunately I don't have a bike stand nor the proper tools to do this :/ so I'll take it to the nearest shop tomorrow and get the chain adjusted and see if that does the trick, if not it's almost time for an oil and filter change anyways so I'll do that along with it, thank you for the help!

Old 02-26-2018, 05:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chain tension! Jeez...that one slipped through the (rather large) cracks in my cerebellum. I check the tires and chain before every ride, so I've never seen that behavior, but I can certainly see how that might do what you describe.

If your bike has the tool kit, you have everything you need to do the job. The chain needs adjusting and lubrication around every 600 miles, so really this is something you need to get comfortable with doing yourself. And while a bike stand is nice, it's not mandatory.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 AM

Chain tension! Jeez...that one slipped through the (rather large) cracks in my cerebellum. I check the tires and chain before every ride, so I've never seen that behavior, but I can certainly see how that might do what you describe.

If your bike has the tool kit, you have everything you need to do the job. The chain needs adjusting and lubrication around every 600 miles, so really this is something you need to get comfortable with doing yourself. And while a bike stand is nice, it's not mandatory.
Unfortunately I just bought the bike used with 40k so I don't have the tool kit, I will be picking up the proper tools however, and I make sure the chain is always glistening

Old 02-26-2018, 01:28 PM

Just to follow up I was wrong! I got to looking at the bike and I was looking at the chain from the rear sprocket when I noticed MY REAR SET WAS BENT WAAAAAY OUT OF WHACK so, in turn the shift linkages rubber cover was ridding the chain! So, I got the trusty crow bar (put a rag on the frame and took off my little Honda wing) and gave it a nice little yank, rear set is straight until I can afford some new ones and the shift linkage is no longer rubbing the chain!