New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

1st bike.....oh my

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st bike.....oh my

i am now the excited and proud owner of a 1994 CBR1000. Purchased it damaged as it was laid down on the left side. Broken handlebar, headlight, missing and or damaged fairings, 26k on the speedometer. Totally repairable...for a price. Anyone want to take a guess how much i paid for it? So far i have bid and won a left handlebar for $25 (yay), still looking for a headlight assy, used and cheap, and having a heap of trouble finding a full set of fairings that wont break the bank.
This is my first bike ever and i love working on engines and such, so this will be quite memorable. I have been told over and over from other, more experienced riders, to ride first.....fix up later lol...geez...no faith!
I am a 39yr old journeyman plumber from NE, married, 3 kids ages 25, 12 and 6, have a cat i love and a beagle i call 'dumbdog'.
The bike will be in my garage this coming weekend, hopefully...weather pending, where the journey to rebuild will begin. Im excited. I cant wait to ride. I will be taking a course, and obviously getting a cycle license. Butterflies thinking about my first ride......so.....anyone know of any salvage yards waiting for a sucker like me to invest in used parts?
Here starts my journey. I thank you in advance for any and all input.
ryan

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the CBRForum Ryan!

I like your enthusiasm! Congrats on getting your bike.

Looking forward to hearing your progress & seeing your bike.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 AM

Sounds like a great project. Lets see some pics as you go

Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 PM

uh....correction..i just got the title today. it says 93. oh well....its still mine!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM

Welcome to the forum! would love to see some pics!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 PM

welcome, I'm sure you will find this forum very helpful in fixing your bike back up.... I also started on I bike I built, I had it for about 3 months before I ever got to ride it once. I think it helped me, when you get those unexpected problems out on the road you will know how to fix it yourself, and not be as stranded.

Last edited by jveach; 06-23-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 PM

I like your enthusiasm too .. but man that a big bike for a new rider ... just take it easy ... So how much did you pick it up for ? and welcome to the site .

Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Welcome! As you have already discovered, Ebay will be your best friend (and sometimes worst enemy) when shopping for replacement parts for your bike. Plastics for any bike are always an expensive replacement. My advice is to scour Ebay while you are prepping your bike and (yourself with the MSF course and license test), find some deals on individual mismatched body panels, then paint the whole thing once you have all the parts you need. Also, I've found that some Ebay salvage yard vendors are usually willing to work out discounts if you buy multiple parts from them, always shoot them a message before you buy a part and you can sometimes swing a better deal!