CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   04 Regulator/Alternator Problem? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/04-regulator-alternator-problem-6137/)

Speedracer 11-15-2005 12:48 AM

04 Regulator/Alternator Problem?

Evening all,

I've been riding since I was in 5th grade (1984) but have only had my 04 1000RR for six months and a day. Bought it new, maintain it religiously, ride it to the full limit of my abilities - no chicken strips on that 190 tire and proud of it. My problem began this morning when I tried to leave for work and the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. It's been sitting about 10 days so thought MAYBE it was just a discharged battery. Used a spare 12v battery to jump it and rode my 23 miles to work. Same problem at 5:00 only the gauges were dimmer and it barely tried to turn the engine. Bump started it in first and rode home. By the time I got close to home the entire gauge cluster would go blank while sitting at lights and only come back on when revs reached 3k. Managed to get home but by the time I pulled in the driveway it was running rough and no gauges, only the high beam indicator was lit. Turned it off, put a voltmeter on the battery posts: 10.6volts. Bump started it again and put the voltmeter on it: 8.8volts at idle, going up to 9.6v when revved above 3k rpm. Battery connections are tight, battery was not overly warm, I have no aftermarket electric accessories, and it's a maintenance-free type battery. I've put 7250 miles on the bike in the last 6 months and that includes pouring rain, Texas heat...okay, not much in the way of cold I admit. Anyone else having this problem? Am taking it to Honda of Houston tomorrow morning so they can put that warrantee to work but an alternator/regulator failure (my guess anyway) after 6 months seems ridiculous.
Sorry so long-winded.
Thanks.

doncollins 11-15-2005 01:17 AM

RE: 04 Regulator/Alternator Problem?

the recitfier/regulator doesn't charge the battery until you're in and above the 5000 rpm range, so you may have a dead battery still. put your multimeter back on and see what voltage you have at 5000 rpms

MgA_ODEN 11-15-2005 12:00 PM

Bet you money its your Stator , pull the cover you'll probably see a burnt winding.
Many CBR1000RRs have seen this problem.

Oh , and Howdy :)

Ranzy706 07-01-2007 09:23 PM

I am having the same problem with mine 1000rr 04. what was the problem with your bike. imma break it down tomorrow. its a nice bike but my 06 gsxr never puts me down.

mmookey 07-02-2007 02:41 AM

Honda sent me a letter explaining that riding at low RPMs for and extended period may cause the ACG to overheat. This could cause a short circuit of the stator windings resulting in insufficient battery charging. You could have a warranty issue so check with Honda before you tear your bike apart. Email me if you need a copy of the letter.

pitsvtec 07-05-2007 09:11 AM

Hello & Welcome!!:D

1984.....dammmmnnnnnn....I was born just 2 yrs prior!