CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Ladies Lounge (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/)
-   -   Why do you modify your bikes? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/why-do-you-modify-your-bikes-60817/)

600rrchick 02-26-2008 06:50 AM

Why do you modify your bikes?

Wow am I getting antsy to p/u my new bike. I have a question mostly for those of you veterans out there that don't necessarily track it. I love to ride. I love the euphoria I feel. The the escape out of my everyday life is uncomparable to anything else other than running for me.

So I see many threads about modifying your bikes with exhausts, wind screens, etc.. Is that really necessary for the average rider such as myself who just likes to get away? What are the benefits and if there are really things that do make a difference what would you recomend? I would love some feedback. Especially from a safety perspective. I do have the leathers and boots.

Thanks gals

CBRTiger 02-26-2008 10:15 AM

RE: Why do you modify your bikes?

I modify most of my bikes for comfort and safety. I plan on replacing the Stock windshield with one that changes the airflow to a better angle. I am also going to lower the bike so I have more of my feet on the ground and to ease backing her up. I will also change out the seat to one that is more comfortable. I bought my bike with an aftermarket exhaust system on it, butin reality I probably would not have changed from the stock. If you don't plan on having her on the track, just change things to make them safer and more comfortable for your needs.

TriColour 02-26-2008 02:34 PM

For me personally, it's #1 for better performance, #2 for a unique looking bike and #3 once you pop, you just can't stop! :D

From a safety perspective, I'm changing to braided brakelines (not really necessary on a new bike - but you have to change the brakelines regularly on older models), more comfortable and adjustable break- and clutch levers. Possibly changing to HID's to be more noticable, the rest is more for aestetics.

ajhundley3 02-26-2008 03:28 PM

put alouder exhaust so cars can hear you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acara1796 03-01-2008 11:09 PM

Loud pipes don't save lives, only promote motorcycle bans. Loud horns, now those save lives. (See the AMA, if you are not a member you should be.)

Sorry...Now back to topic.

There is nothing wrong with staying with the stock machine even if you plan to do some track. Mods to my primary bikes are for comfort and safety. Grips, cruise, seat, horn, starcom, and yes loud horns. Now, the track bikes are a different story but the key, they are solely track bikes.

You can't go wrong with switching to stainless brake lines or swapping grips or a different windshield but you don't need to spend the dollars right away.

Red Hooter 03-10-2008 11:13 PM

I say get some sliders. They'll come in handy sooner than you think!

bluerrchik 03-14-2008 09:16 PM

I really don't think all the extra is necessary if you're just wanting an escape from reality for awhile so to speak. I have to admit I just started doing modifications to my bikes last year and just wanted to make mine more pleasing to the eye. The first thing I bought besides riding gear of course was an undertail kit or a fender eliminator kit, up to you. I just hated that huge mud flap thing on the back with the plate and signals. I also had my bike lowered a bit to make myself more comfortable. I was careful not to have it lowered too much as I think it affects the handling if it's slammed too much. Of course that's me. Others will say all day that it doesn't effect the handling at all, but it's just my personal experience. I just recently bought the HID headlights to make me more easily seen--hopefully. I also bought different grips, the ones I bought were only ten bucks but were the gel grips so they're really comfy. I have spent a lot of money on my RR, and I know I will spend more, but I would say that about 75-85% of it was just to make it nicer to look at. For my eyes of course. I did most of my mods because it was something to make it my own, so I knew that no one else had an 04 RR just like mine!:)

[IMG]local://upfiles/24684/2810C52D5C43463D9A60D8B98F11FB63.jpg[/IMG]

bluerrchik 03-14-2008 09:20 PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot....frame sliders are definitely worth the money! My friend just dropped hers at low speed turning into a driveway and got away with only some minor scratches and a broken mirror. She saved herself hundreds on replacing fairings by getting the frame sliders she bought for about $60. Defintely agree with Red Hooter on that one!!! I would even buy those before I bought anything else!!!

600rrchick 03-15-2008 06:59 AM

Thanks so much for all the advise. I am jonesing to pick up my bike. It is just waiting in the dealer for me. Unfortunately the rain won't stop. The roads are all beat up here in Jersey so even if we did have a decent day I wouldn't risk it at this point. Pot holes and gravel from road repair all over. What a bummer. Thanks to you all for your responses. I appreciate it.

pitsvtec 03-17-2008 07:36 PM

Customizing it makes it your own signature....