Ladies Lounge This section is intended ONLY for use by our female members. Guys are NOT allowed to post in the Ladies Lounge. Only Female members and CBRForum staff are allowed to post in here.

Now I'm timid as !#%%!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Default Now I'm timid as !#%%!!!

Hi ladies,

Yes, I'm the one that dropped my bike twice in one day. I got back on to go practice and was so timid and couldn't do it.[&o] What do I do? My husband isn't pushing me to do it, but I really want to. He plans on taking me to a parking lot for lots of practice, but just sitting on it yesterday with it running freaked me out...it felt heavy, awkward and not at all comfortable. Has this happened to any of you and if so what did you do? I don't want to give it up at all and I know I can do it, but I'm freakin out here....Any advice would help at this point. Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/22014/75CC4299533C4CCE98FE429F2B09C5D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Default RE: Now I'm timid as !#%%!!!

It's about having fun. If it's not fun don't do it. What's the hurry? Relax.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 PM

Being timid is natural. Take it in very slow steps.Consider taking the MSF course. They will teach you A LOT of basic stuff. Knowledge builds confidence. Plus they give you the 250s to practice on, which will be less ungainly to get the confidence built up that you can indeed do it.
[ol][*]Get in the right mindset. Tell yourself that you aren't going to drop it. If, by chance, you do, then laugh about it, it's all part of the learning process. Tell yourself it's only a piece of metal and plastic (and repairable).[*]Don't concern yourself with going fast. When grabbing the throttle, do not grab it high, but instead grab it low. Your wrist will only bend so far and thus will limit how much throttle you can give it.[*]Don't worry about shifting. That's not until you get used to moving with it.[*]Start off slow. Go from one end of the parking lot to the other end really really slow with your feet on the ground. Your just doing this to get accustomed to the friction zone of the clutch and to the weight when it's moving (it's easier to balance when it's moving).[*]Don't try turning at this point: instead, shut off the bike, put the kickstand down, get off and then turn it around.[*]After you are comfortable do the little waddle thing back and forth. (kind of walking the bike while sitting). Again, use light throttle.[*]After you are comfortable...ride it a little with the waddle and when you feel comfortable, bring your feet up to the pegs.[/ol]
Just take it into small babysteps.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 PM

Well, my husband and I went to a parking lot yesterday and practiced for 2 hours, it was great!!!! I really got the feel for the clutch again and even did hills. I was able to get it going on a hill without stalling it a bunch of times. Still gonna practice more before going on the streets, but I did get my confidence up a bit. Taking baby steps as "woo" said and it really has helped. I even had a smile on my face! .....and I had fun! Gonna go practice more today and maybe even go for a ride on the back streets around the neighborhood to see how it feels.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: mwelchy

Well, my husband and I went to a parking lot yesterday and practiced for 2 hours, it was great!!!! I really got the feel for the clutch again and even did hills. I was able to get it going on a hill without stalling it a bunch of times. Still gonna practice more before going on the streets, but I did get my confidence up a bit. Taking baby steps as "woo" said and it really has helped. I even had a smile on my face! .....and I had fun! Gonna go practice more today and maybe even go for a ride on the back streets around the neighborhood to see how it feels.
Way to go!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 AM

Outstanding. One of the best things we have as humans is to be able to look at something, fear it and yet, still do it. It's like that with everything in life. As long as we don't try to take on more than we can handle, we can find that we can and do accomplish anything.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 AM

I really need to change that topic to "I got back on and did it!" Thanks for the encouragement and info ladies. It has helped and I'm finally able to say I can do it again! We practiced more and I'm doing great. Gonna keep practicing until next spring when I take my course and go from there! Have a great holiday everyone!

Old 12-08-2007, 06:45 PM

congratulations! that's really great that you are getting back on it and sticking with it. The first time I dropped a bike it really freaked me out as well but it's well worth getting back on it. There are few things in life that I get as much pleasure from as an evening ride with my husband just making the rounds.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 PM

Everyone tips over...it's not the end of the world...just try to hold your ground. You'll get the hang of it...

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.