CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Ladies Lounge (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/)
-   -   New pipe, new summer jacket (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/new-pipe-new-summer-jacket-18476/)

The Ant 07-12-2006 02:33 PM

New pipe, new summer jacket

The Scorpion pipe was an Xmas present, finally got it put on this past weekend! We also installed the "DB Killer" insert in the end so it's about the same loudness as stock, but has this wonderful low burble sound. Feel like I got some more low end power, smoothness, and lost about 5 pounds from up high. Plus it LOOKS great, huh!

And then decided to get the Cortex Air jacket (have had the vented pants for about a year) - have been thinking about it for a while, and then saw last year's model on sale at my local shop. Had to special order the liner tho. Figured my Aerostich is getting older, and it's just not that comfy in the heat - want to save it for when I really need it.

-Susan
'04CBR600F4i

[IMG]local://upfiles/5239/7AE12261F54D41ABA142EB167B5C98DC.jpg[/IMG]

RCKT GRL 07-12-2006 03:34 PM

RE: New pipe, new summer jacket

Looks great Susan! You just got the pipe put on NOW? Oh my! I had my new pipe out of the box and ready to install the day it arrived from 2 Bros! You've got waaaay more patience than I. LOL!

The Ant 07-12-2006 07:02 PM

I know, sad isn't it. But then, if I'd have put it on then, it'd be 6 months old now!! aaargh.

-Susan

pitsvtec 07-13-2006 11:39 AM

YAY!! I want to know what you think about the sound of the pipe. I'm considering changing mine...

The Ant 07-13-2006 02:35 PM

I think it sounds fabulous. Part of the reason we took so long to put it on was that it looked so wonderful but I was afraid it'd be way too loud for me (it's stamped "not for street use") and when you look in the end it's straight through, full pipe bore. But we'd put a quiet-tip onto my old dirt bike, so I emailed Scorpion to see if they made such a thing for the Ti muffler, which they did, is called the "D.B. Killer", which is a restrictor pipe that mounts inside the end of the muffler, had to drill one hole in the tail piece of the muffler (another worry!) for a set screw to hold it in place.

In the end, it was really easy to mount up, and not loud but very deep sounding. Still has a light note of sewing machine on top. I can hear it when I go around a corner banked over and get the echo from the pavement, otherwise, it's pretty subtle. I've changed my route home to include a perfect cloverleaf, just so's I can hear it!

-Susan

pitsvtec 07-13-2006 02:44 PM

Have you heard the Jardine? That is the pipe I have, but believe this I heard a Muzzy on a 250R and it gave the bike an awesome sound. Nice and deep, not loud and ear-piercing like a D&D. Does it sound like that?

The Ant 07-13-2006 03:29 PM

Haven't heard either the Jardine or Muzzy, but this one fits the "deep but not loud" category. Totally awesome.

Randy turned the bike on without any muffler at all - now THAT was loud! Sounded like a Nascar. Too bad we didn't try it without the quiet tip for comparison, but suspect it'd be like the D&D then.

The Ant 07-17-2006 04:37 PM

Got the pipe out on the road this past weekend, anything above 7,000rpms starts to get pretty loud, 11,12,13 thousand and I'm glad I have earplugs. But then not sure if it wasn't any worse than stock at those rpms anyways. Stick to below 6,000 around town for sure - it's quite nice and civilized then. And passed a Harley coming home on the freeway - couldn't even hear mine over his.

I'm still quite happy with the Scorpion.
-Susan