CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Ladies Lounge (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/)
-   -   Need advice on what kind of bike I should be looking for.. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/need-advice-what-kind-bike-i-should-looking-71681/)

ruger008 06-24-2008 02:39 PM

Need advice on what kind of bike I should be looking for..

Hey ladies!
I'm dying to get a bike.. and I have no idea where to start. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. I'm 5'5", pretty strong, but inexperienced when it comes to motorcycles. Any suggestions on what kind of bike would be a good match for me would be great! Thanks :D

Juliet 06-25-2008 02:18 AM

RE: Need advice on what kind of bike I should be looking for..

hey :-)

I would definitely start small .. don't go and buy a 600 or something until you are much more experienced ... I think you can go too small too .. over here in the UK a 125cc that learners can legally ride barely keeps up with the flow of modern traffic and in my opinion puts you at *some* risk .. for instance I always filter to the top of lines of traffic waiting for lights ... I am the first off and away from all the lane changing mad cars .. I have seen small bikes do the same but the traffic pulls off with them and they are in a sea of car drivers who can switch lanes any second .. over here anything from 250cc to 500cc is a good starter bike .. I had a Kawasaki GPZ500 years ago and that was great .. really light and nippy ... I hear good things about the Kawaski 250cc ninja over on your side ... whatever you get just ride it at your own pace and no one else's ...

Jules

EDIT: ... get some training too!!

ajhundley3 06-25-2008 09:53 AM

I started out on a 600rr. I knew if I started out on a 250 I would get bored real quick. If you are a person who would get bored quick then start out on a 600. Just take your time. Take msf class too. By the way I never rode a motorcycle before.

ruger008 06-26-2008 01:44 AM

Thanks for the advice!

lmstjohn 06-27-2008 08:34 PM

I started on a CBR600f2 and it was a great learning bike! I moved up to the F4i the next year and then the 600rr. I would recommend getting a nice used bike at first and definately putting some frame sliders on it because you will probably drop it at least once! And plastic for the newer 600rr's isn't cheap!

ruger008 06-30-2008 06:40 PM

Where is the best place to look for used bikes?

Acara1796 07-02-2008 10:26 PM

My daughter just got her license last month. I have put her on the HawkGT-NT650. Entry level naked sportbike, v-twin 647cc. There is also the Suzuki GS500 Naked Sportbike or the new Ninja250.

Craigslist, local papers. Watch Craigslist tho but deals can be found there so it worth looking.

selectautomoto 08-19-2008 12:40 PM

I'm on a 600rr, I really don't think I need anything more. It's plenty powerful.

Juliet 08-19-2008 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: selectautomoto

I'm on a 600rr, I really don't think I need anything more. It's plenty powerful.
I agree ..my 600 has all the power I ever needed ... its a pussy cat low down, smooth and torquey but when you hit the power band the throttle response is instant and like that of something much larger ... I am very light also so its not pulling any heavy weight!!

Jules

dammitgirl96 08-19-2008 04:39 PM

Hi, I agree, I ride a 600f4i. It has plenty of power, handles great, an all around great bike. My only suggestion to you is at your height, you will want to get the bike lowered a bit. You want to make sure that you are stable on it, and using your tippie toes to try and balance the bike as a new rider is probably not the best idea.