CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Ladies Lounge (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/)
-   -   My experience at WCW in NJ (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/my-experience-wcw-nj-10404/)

pitsvtec 03-11-2006 10:13 PM

My experience at WCW in NJ

I went to WCW (Washington Cycle Works, a bike racing shop) today and had a wonderful experience! I got my bike suspension done and boy does my bike handle a million times better now! They tuned my bike to my weight and it costed $35.00. I am totally pleased! I mentioned to the people how some recommended that I lower my bike due to my height. Just them doing the suspension was enough for me to change how I was riding. As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot, I felt the difference in turning, braking and overall riding. It almost was as if my bike was lighter and more manuverable. They told me there was no need to lower my bike, although I wear bigger boots, they said I touch just fine. They also said the way my bike was set up was allowing the front to bounce more and the back end to be lighter - meaning I brake hard, my tail goes up. That is also b/c I don't have enough weight to keep the bike down, but that is all fixed now!

Here is the site and if you want to order anything.
http://www.washingtoncycleworks.com/

CBR Chick 03-13-2006 08:19 PM

RE: My experience at WCW in NJ

Congrats!
I've been thinking about getting it done my self, but didn't want to spend the money. I thought it would be way more then that, and to gain that much control of the bike would be great. Thanks for the info, now I have something to think about!:D

HEHEHE
a reason to spend more money!
[sm=teetertooter.gif]

pitsvtec 03-14-2006 12:26 AM

It only costed $35.00. It is well worth it!

The Ant 03-14-2006 01:09 PM

Having a pro set your bike up for you like that is way good.....write down how many clicks they did on all the adjustments, and then you can fool around with them yourself and still come back to the base setting.

Before riding dirtbikes, I never thought about the shocks, but learned how important it was there and it applies to the street bike as well. Most bikes are set up for a taller heavier rider - if it's even set up at all! Someone could have played with the settings before it left the showroom floor.

What happens is they'll set the sag height for you first, which means when you first sit on it, the bike will sink down a bit for your weight, but not too much. Then they set the front fork springs, both rebound and compression, so that when you hit a bump, they dampen some, but again not too much. Same goes for the rear shock.

When I first got my CBR, it was set up so hard I could feel the white stripes in the road, it was like I had no shocks at all, may as well have been riding a 2 x 4. Made me bounce and skip, NOT good! After it was set up, it absorbs the bumps without being all wobbly or too soft - it's great.
-Susan
CBR600F4i

pitsvtec 03-16-2006 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: The Ant

Having a pro set your bike up for you like that is way good.....write down how many clicks they did on all the adjustments, and then you can fool around with them yourself and still come back to the base setting.

Before riding dirtbikes, I never thought about the shocks, but learned how important it was there and it applies to the street bike as well. Most bikes are set up for a taller heavier rider - if it's even set up at all! Someone could have played with the settings before it left the showroom floor.

What happens is they'll set the sag height for you first, which means when you first sit on it, the bike will sink down a bit for your weight, but not too much. Then they set the front fork springs, both rebound and compression, so that when you hit a bump, they dampen some, but again not too much. Same goes for the rear shock.

When I first got my CBR, it was set up so hard I could feel the white stripes in the road, it was like I had no shocks at all, may as well have been riding a 2 x 4. Made me bounce and skip, NOT good! After it was set up, it absorbs the bumps without being all wobbly or too soft - it's great.
-Susan
CBR600F4i
Exactly! I'm loving it!