CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Ladies Lounge (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/)
-   -   Lowering bikes (https://cbrforum.com/forum/ladies-lounge-46/lowering-bikes-7894/)

Red Hooter 01-15-2006 06:38 AM

Lowering bikes

Hey,

Just wondering, I'm 5'7" and can't flat foot (I'm on the balls of my feet).

What have you girls done (if anything) to correct the problem?

My bf has been telling me to get lowering links put on the bike, but I'm still hesitant to do any sort of (permanent) mods to the bike as of yet besides frame sliders. I'm a bit concerned when stopped on an upwards incline that the bike will roll back or that I'll drop her when starting/stopping. I've already layed her down once when backing her up in my parking space at home.

What do you suggest?

pitsvtec 01-15-2006 01:53 PM

RE: Lowering bikes

Well I shy away from lowering the bike b/c it throws off the bikes handling. I'm only 5'2" and it's hard to believe that your 5 inches taller than me and have a problem. Sorry if that is outright, but it's true...LOL... To correct this problem I purchased taller boots. It's cheaper and if you ever want to sell the bike, it won't be an issue. The boots I now have are called Rocket Dog Draglines. They cover your ankle and add 2.75 inches to your height. Although, I can't fullly touch, they helped me a great deal . It's not a problem it you fully can't touch. At stops, I end up leaning the bike on one leg and when having to move it, I'm off the bike doing so. Be more confident in yourself and you'll be able to handle the bike just fine. Hope that helps you. Let me know.:D

pupdog_88 01-15-2006 03:33 PM

i got a set of lowering links for my bike of ebay not to expensive and they are adjustable, so u can put it down and back up if you change your mind, i didn't leave mine lowered cause i do alot of canyon carving and with the bike lowered i couldn't lean it as far over with out dragging the pegs or exhaust, unless your dragging a knee around curves lowering your bike won't hurt it, it will probably help you a lot cause it gives u the feeling that your more in control of the bike and not just sitting way up on it, here is what i got i'm pretty sure they will work on your bike to i'd just try lowering it 1 1/2 before you drop it all the way down

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cbr-F...spagenameZWDVW

pitsvtec 01-15-2006 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: pupdog_88

i got a set of lowering links for my bike of ebay not to expensive and they are adjustable, so u can put it down and back up if you change your mind, i didn't leave mine lowered cause i do alot of canyon carving and with the bike lowered i couldn't lean it as far over with out dragging the pegs or exhaust, unless your dragging a knee around curves lowering your bike won't hurt it, it will probably help you a lot cause it gives u the feeling that your more in control of the bike and not just sitting way up on it, here is what i got i'm pretty sure they will work on your bike to i'd just try lowering it 1 1/2 before you drop it all the way down

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cbr-F...spagenameZWDVW

You my friend are not supposed to be lurking here....out...shoo....out....damn males...they never listen!

pupdog_88 01-15-2006 11:58 PM

[sm=bustedsign.gif] pitsvtec i humbly apologize, please forgive me i only thought i could help a fellow rider (notice i didn't say women cause i know that women can ride just as good as men) and they look a hell of a lot better on a bike to:D, next time i'll run my suggestion by u does that satisfy u, or should i just go shoot myself now [sm=bangbang.gif]

p.s. congrats on ROTM

pitsvtec 01-16-2006 02:07 AM

ORIGINAL: pupdog_88

[sm=bustedsign.gif] pitsvtec i humbly apologize, please forgive me i only thought i could help a fellow rider (notice i didn't say women cause i know that women can ride just as good as men) and they look a hell of a lot better on a bike to:D, next time i'll run my suggestion by u does that satisfy u, or should i just go shoot myself now [sm=bangbang.gif]

p.s. congrats on ROTM

Thank you, but no need to run suggestions by me....this is supposed to be our hideaway.....you bad mofo! [8D]Sneaking in here like that.....shame shame! [:@]

CBR Chick 01-18-2006 02:57 PM

LOL that is soo funny, I guess he thought he could pass cause he has a pink bike.LOL But I also stop on the balls of my feet, and I'm 5,9. I too most of the time just end up leaning to one side when I stop. I have heard that lowering the bike throws off the ability to corner well and also throws off the COG. I have heard other people saying bad things about lowering a bike. But that's just my 2 cents.[8D]

Red Hooter 01-19-2006 04:23 AM

Thanks ladies, and guy [8D] for your input. Very much appreciated.

pitsvtec 01-19-2006 04:55 PM

Sure...and taking advice from the shortest one posting is a cheaper idea for you tall women!:)

smooth_caramel 01-19-2006 07:03 PM

Hello, I'm new here!

Yeah, the newer bikes are getting taller and taller, the older ones are ok. Im 5'7" also and have trouble putting my feet down solid on the newer bikes. I've got a 2000 R6, but it was already lowered when I got it. The way it was done is ok. Mine was lowered in the triple tree and the shock set on the "shortest" setting. Since that makes it low, my kick stand is a little shorter than normal. I think it was cut then welded. So, if you really have to lower it try that if you want and it's cheap. Lowering links are probably a better options, but it can get pricey depending on who you get to do it.

You should only really have to worry about handling if your into cornering fast, racing, stunting. For everyday cruising, lowering doesn't make a difference.

If you want to be flat on the ground, just shift your body to one side and put your foot down. Learn how to rebalance and pull off from lights or inclines that way. Eventually, you'll get the hang and won't even notice it anymore.

Good Luck....